American Society of Association Executives
Washington, DC, District of Columbia
|Date Posted||March 07, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires, Magazines / Publishing, Digital Media, Newsletters, Nonprofit|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||$70,000 to $75,000|
ASAE helps associations, and the professionals who lead, manage, and work in them, transform society through the power of collaboration. We are looking for someone to join our team as the Associate Editor. Candidates must be able to work in a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative environment where colleagues are engaged, respect and support each other, hold themselves accountable, and celebrate their work.
This position contributes to content published in all Associations Now channels. Writes for AssociationsNow.com, including the weekly Money & Business blog, and writes features and other content for special digital packages. Works with volunteer groups to develop contributed content in assigned topics for ASAE website. Contributes editorial content to new channels as they are tested and implemented.
- Writes weekly Money and Business blog post and other articles for AssociationsNow.com. Posts articles on AssociationsNow.com, using WordPress. Ensures that posted article is complete and complies with web format and style requirements.
- Through research, reading, social listening, and connections to the association community, gathers and pitches timely, relevant story ideas and identifies appropriate and diverse sources.
- Covers 5-6 beats as assigned, generally soliciting 4-5 contributed articles every month. Copyedits contributed articles for ASAE website, ensuring that they meet editorial and web standards. Cultivates contributions from writers with diverse backgrounds, experience, and perspectives.
- Posts volunteer-contributed articles on ASAE website, using the Sitecore content management system. Ensures that posted article is complete and complies with web format and style requirements.
- Contributes to digital packages published regularly on AssociationsNow.com.
- Writes articles or solicits volunteer contributions as assigned.
- Writes or contributes as assigned to print products, including the Associations Now Board Brief and Annual Meeting Daily Now.
- Engages in ongoing education about topics that affect associations, particularly in assigned beat areas, including offerings from both inside and outside ASAE.
- Superior writing and editing skills required.
- Strong reporting and analytical skills. Ability to identify story and blog topics, locate and interview sources, analyze information, and write articles and blog posts on short timelines and working independently.
- Comprehensive knowledge of editorial style, grammar, spelling, and proofreading methods.
- Ability to manage and meet multiple overlapping deadlines for different content channels.
- Ability to guide and manage volunteer content contributors from identifying topic ideas to final editing.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This position operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment. This position is eligible to participate in the work from home program.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communication, or related field or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Four or more years’ experience in fast-paced editorial and/or communications environments.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Association journalism experience and knowledge of association membership issues preferred.
- Blogging and social media experience a plus.
- Experience in online publishing and CMS platforms a plus.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance (if applicable)
Must be able to work legally within the United States without sponsorship
- Some travel is required.
- Hybrid Work from Home Arrangements
- Flexible Work Hours
- Casual Dress Code
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Prescription Plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Health Savings Account
- Generous 401k Retirement Plan
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Legal and Identity Theft Plans
- Company Paid Professional Development
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Computer Purchase Program