Seeking Editor Extraordinaire
Tennessee Valley Authority
Chattanooga, TennesseeSee other jobs from this company
|Date Posted||February 27, 2023|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Specialist, Editor Senior - 514500
* *Seeking Editor Extraordinaire **
Organization: Human Resources & Communications
Department: Strategic Content Communications
Location: Chattanooga, TN or Knoxville, TN
Relocation: Relocation benefits are not offered for this position
Posting Open: 2/27/2023
Posting Close: 3/12/2023 at 11:59 PM EST
Grade / Salary: Competitive
Through authentic storytelling, show the value TVA brings to every person living within the Tennessee Valley region. Develop a deep understanding of TVA and its content strategy to deploy best brand journalism and content marketing practices in telling the priority TVA narrative in tangible, human terms. As an editor for TVA brand content, you will edit, atomize and optimize a variety content for publication through current and emerging owned, earned and paid channels. As a leader of writers and strategic communications professionals, you will collaborate with the team and colleagues to enhance the brand of TVA through content that is powerful, inspiring and meaningful.
A successful candidate will have a big-picture mindset and the journalistic chops to promote and drive enterprise and business unit initiatives with flawless tactical execution. Strong writing, editorial and team-building skills are required to support a multi-channel approach focused on the delivery of best-in-class communications to promote the TVA brand.
1. Exhibits integrity, respect and authenticity in all interactions internal or external to TVA Communications and in performance of assigned duties.
2. Demonstrates strong collaboration, open-mindedness and partnership with teammates within and outside the TVA Communications organization.
3. Enhances and protects the TVA reputation and brand; builds understanding and support for the agency’s long-term strategy and enterprise priorities.
4. Accountable for modeling leadership behaviors, consistently delivering high-quality results and managing complex communications issues and projects for the agency.
5. Serves as a managing editor across all Strategic Content initiatives and channels, leading a team of writers and content producers to drive positive brand awareness and engagement.
6. Assigns, edits, approves, publishes, atomizes and optimizes content for use through various owned, earned and paid communication channels.
7. Using a journalistic mindset, he or she edits a variety of content – brand journalism articles, narrative stories, scripts, speeches, presentations, talking points, annual publications, emails, social media posts, TVA.com web pages – to adhere to TVA style and meet TVA goals and objectives with a consistent, priority narrative.
8. Supports and seeks out opportunities to enhance TVA’s content strategy and its delivery to target audiences.
9. Develops a deep knowledge and understanding of TVA business development initiatives, projects, processes and audiences to improve the delivery of content that matters and moves the dial in brand perception.
10. Forges strong relationships with writers, team members, subject matter experts and stakeholders to develop complete content packages that will resonate with key audiences.
11. Shares the TVA story with consumers in a way that will engage, inspire and drive positive perceptions of the brand.
12. Fosters a culture of accountability, trust, collaboration, recognition, development and results among the team at all levels consistent with the short- and long-term objectives of the organization.
13. Collaborates with and supports key stakeholders to provide communications insights and influences business- critical communications decisions.
14. Advocates for best practices in strategic communications, brand journalism and content marketing.
15. Identifies key issues and provides strategic communications counsel to help develop messaging that builds awareness, understanding, education and action.
16. Maintains an understanding of corporate and business unit goals and issues, and industry trends.
17. Ensures messaging is understandable and relevant to the audience to which it’s being delivered, and builds understanding and advocacy on behalf of the company, its people, products, services and values.
18. Serves as a member of the Emergency Response Organization, and the Public Information organization in particular, in accordance with Emergency Plan procedures. Supports on-call rotation for after-hours needs. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
• Excellent verbal, written and editorial communications skills
• Strong writer and editor (knowledge of AP style required), including experience as a journalist and editor in a fast-paced newsroom or corporate communications environment; publication samples will be requested
• Progressive experience leading brand journalism, content marketing and strategic communications initiatives
• Strong people and product manager with a collaborative and development leadership mindset
• Proven skills in being able to take complex information and simplify it into narrative consumers will understand and appreciate
• Experience forming trusted, sustainable relationships with a variety of stakeholders – from community members to executives
• Experience representing the company internally and externally with challenging audiences in challenging situations
• Ability to balance immediate and long-term priorities, meeting all deadlines and budget goals
• Demonstrated ability to make sound business judgments and draw conclusions that ensure validity, identifies alternatives and develops specific recommendations
• Strong business acumen/business experience and continuous improvement methodologies
• Strong customer service, interpersonal, leadership and collaboration skills
• Ability to adapt to changes quickly, proposing and implementing thoughtful solutions
• Experience working in a matrixed organization
• Incumbent may be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance based on position / access requirements and essential job functions
Education. – Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or closely related discipline. An advanced degree is strongly preferred.
Experience. - more than 10 years of experience as a leader in multichannel content creation and publication. Experience should include content marketing, brand journalism, corporate communications or journalism with progressive and proven leadership qualities. Exceptional written and oral communications skills with working knowledge of current communications practices and tools. A strategic mindset is required