Assistant Sports Editor
The Victoria Advocate
|Date Posted||January 25, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Assistant Sports Editor
The Victoria Advocate, a paper with a rich history of providing our community with award winning news, is seeking an Assistant Sports Editor to help drive our coverage of local sports. Our Assistant Sports Editor is responsible for developing relationship with area coaches and sports departments, writing, and editing attention grabbing sports stories, and coordinating the coverage and setting the budget for sports news at the Victoria Advocate.
The Assistant Sports Editor is responsible for all coverage of sports within the Victoria/Crossroads region, including live coverage, photography and video for youth, high school, and college teams and getting that coverage online daily and in print/e-edition seven days a week. Also coordinates creation weekly of “The Grid” sports podcast with the entire sports department.
The Victoria Advocate provides a close-knit, collegial newsroom where you will be empowered to do your best work.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Priority coverage of amateur, high school and collegiate sports through game coverage, feature stories and more.
- Coordinating the coverage and setting the budget for sports news at the Victoria Advocate
- Also covering sports as needed at other levels.
- Using photography and videography to enhance sports coverage.
- Occasional work for special sections throughout the year.
- Working with freelancers to supplement sports coverage as needed.
- Collaborating with sister newspapers on sports coverage as needed.
- This job includes nighttime and weekend responsibilities, most especially during football season.
- An excellent benefits package including health, dental, and vision plans.
- Long and short-term disability and life insurance at no cost.
- 401(k) retirement plan.
- A generous Paid Time Off plan.
Essential Qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- One year of recent newspaper or website experience (or at least two newspaper reporting internships or student publications)
- Solid understanding of how to report, write and deliver information online and in print in a fast-paced news environment.
- Valid driver’s license and proof of insurance with acceptable driving record required
If you are ready to join the region’s leading news source, submit your resume along with story clippings today.