Communications and Events Intern
|Date Posted||January 24, 2023|
Northern Water is seeking a Communications and Events Intern to gain great hands-on experience alongside a stellar Communications team. This internship will provide resume-building skills for a variety of communications and events-related tasks, including tour coordination, corporate event support, writing, editing, digital documentation and management, and more. An excited intern will coordinate and conduct tour requests for the Chimney Hollow Reservoir Project being built in southwest Larimer County. The internship will also provide solid skills in assisting in setup and execution of corporate events, which include tours, workshops, meetings, conferences and more. The internship will also provide experience in writing and editing for various channels, including website, social media, email marketing and communications materials. Additional skills will be gained by supporting communication and outreach of annual tours, marketing and outreach events, and educational opportunities. A keen eye for organization will help in the documentation and management of our digital collections, which include photography and videos. This is a great internship opportunity for a current student or someone who has recently completed course work in the fields of communications, journalism, public relations, event management, hospitality, marketing or other related fields. Flexible hours for students based on schedule, with potential for increased hours during summer break.
Northern Water is growing and we’re seeking employees who are passionately committed to helping us collect and deliver water to more than 1,037,000 people and about 615,000 acres of irrigated farmland. Since 1937 our strong and stable reputation has attracted employees to be a part of our mission. We offer competitive pay, exceptional benefits and a workplace environment that offers great culture and collaboration. With more than 170 employees, most are based at our beautiful Berthoud, Colo. headquarters, and about 20 are based in scenic Grand County on the West Slope of the Continental Divide.
This is an exciting time to become a part of our organization as we embark on building two of the largest water storage projects in recent United States history. We’re proud of our reputation as a leading water delivery, conservation and management organization, not only in the western United States, but across the nation. Come join our team!
The Communications Department leads internal and external communications and public outreach for Northern Water. Responsibilities include media relations, website, social media, tours and public speaking, graphics, events and creating the organization’s official record of Board and committee meeting minutes.
This position is responsible for a variety of communications and events-related tasks for the Communications Department, including tour coordination, corporate event support, writing, editing, digital documentation and management, and more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates Chimney Hollow Reservoir Project tour requests, including overseeing registration and providing safety communication.
- Conducts Chimney Hollow Reservoir Project tours which includes greeting attendees at Berthoud headquarters, loading fleet vehicles, driving tour attendees to project sites, and following all safety protocols.
- Assists in setup and execution of corporate events, which include tours, workshops, participant meetings, trainings, conferences, and more. Tasks include overseeing event registration, vendor support, securing equipment and catering, creating name badges, event communications, and more.
- Writes and edits compelling content for various communication channels, including website, social media, email marketing, communications materials, and more.
- Assists with annual tours of Colorado-Big Thompson and Windy Gap project facilities.
- Assists in coordination of Northern Water’s presence at events, conventions, and presentations through displays, marketing materials, and swag.
- Assists with Northern Water’s participation in children’s water festivals.
- Utilizes customer relationship management (CRM) system to manage tour and event contacts and registration.
- Assists to document and communicate key project and program milestones.
- Assists with documentation and management of digital collections, including, but not limited to, still photography and video.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- All other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Current or completed course work in communications, journalism, public relations, event management, hospitality, marketing, a related field, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Current or completed course work in communications, journalism, public relations, event management, hospitality, marketing, or related field.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATE AND CREDENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Valid driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Communications writing and editing.
- Event management software.
- Event support.
- Understanding and use of English.
- Associated Press writing style or similar writing style.
- Writing and editing skills.
- Oral communication and public speaking skills.
- Grammar and composition skills.
- Interpersonal and communications skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products and database management.
- Organized with excellent time management.
- Self-started and self-motivator.
- Create and maintain a positive working relationship with the public, water users, and employees.
- Build relationships with Northern Water partners.
- Work productively, independently, and as part of a team.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Keep sensitive topics and materials confidential.
- Work is performed in various settings, including an office environment and on site at projects.
- Walk and climb stairs daily.
- Lift supplies up to 25 pounds.
- Sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Drive, walk, reach, and bend on occasion.
- Keyboard entry and use of mouse for extended periods of time.
- Drive corporate fleet vehicles for project tours.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of a post job offer physical examination.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Maintains a personal appearance appropriate for job position and image of Northern Water.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
Northern Water provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics. Northern Water complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Northern Water also prohibits any form of workplace harassment in accordance with these laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.