Philadelphia Gay News
|Date Posted||January 23, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Philadelphia Gay News, one of the oldest and most award-winning LGBTQ newspapers in the country, seeks an experienced Philadelphia-based editor who will oversee all facets of the weekly production of PGN’s print and digital publications.
The Editor Role:
- Manage newsroom and graphics staff and freelancers, conceive of and assign story ideas, work with writers on story development, and manage deadlines.
- Edit and proofread all stories (including news, feature stories, columnists and syndicated stories), and provide feedback to writers on style, focus, story development, fact-checking, accuracy, consistency, etc.
- Post stories to our web site, www.epgn.com (designed with WordPress)
- Field story pitches and monitor the issues and ideas impacting readers to ensure all areas of the LGBTQ community are represented fairly and accurately.
- Write a weekly editorial and assist with the writing and reporting of news stories.
We are a small weekly newspaper that focuses on the LGBTQ community in Philadelphia (we also do stories on the Pennsylvania and national LGBTQ communities). As such, the editor needs to arrive with at least a working knowledge of Philadelphia’s LGBTQ community organizations, leaders, news and events. Over time, the editor will be expected to continue to build new relationships within the community as well as attend community events, including Pride Day and OutFest.
The editor’s main role is to manage the editorial content and editorial staff of the paper. This includes assigning news and feature stories to writers, ensuring timely receipt of stories, editing and proofreading the stories, working with the graphics department to layout the paper, posting stories on our web site, and ensuring that the printing deadline is met. In addition, the editor writes a weekly editorial as well as the occasional news story. Staff-wise, the editor is responsible for managing a small number of employees and freelancers, cultivating a team atmosphere in the newsroom, and hiring new employees and freelancers when needed.
This is a job for a journalist who cares deeply about the LGBTQ community and understands the impact and the importance of good community journalism.
Some of the topics we’ll be focusing on in 2023 include:
- Elections for mayor, city council, and judges and their impact on the LGBTQ community
- LGBTQ healthcare
- The political climate surrounding the LGBTQ community locally and nationally
- The ongoing work of local LGBTQ nonprofits and the communities they serve
- Crime, gun violence and its impact on LGBTQ people
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including news writing, editorial writing, and interviewing
- Superior news judgment, ability to work independently, and ability to lead and manage a small staff
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, including late-breaking deadlines
- Desire to network and build relationships within the local LGBTQ-community
- Must be based in or around Philadelphia (in order to attend community events, etc)
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in journalism, communications, English or a related field
- Knowledge of the Philadelphia-area LGBTQ community, including community leaders, organizations, and events
- Minimum of three years writing/editing experience in a newsroom or related organization
- Experience writing news and breaking news stories
- Experience managing professional social-media accounts, particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Experience with content management systems
- Proficiency in AP style
This position reports to PGN’s publisher, Mark Segal.
The Philadelphia Gay News provides a full benefits package including health, dental, and 401k.
PGN is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a resume, cover letter, news writing samples, and references to Jason Villemez at jason (at) epgn (dot) com.