Editor / Reporter
The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society
New York, Telecommute
|Date Posted||January 19, 2023|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||$67,000 - $70,000|
Episcopal News Service offers in-depth reporting and analysis of local, regional, national and international news for Episcopalians and others interested in the church’s mission and ministry. Episcopal News Service is the officially sponsored online news source of the Episcopal Church; its reporting feeds a network of over 100 domestic and foreign dioceses, and affiliates and churches across the worldwide Anglican Communion.
The Reporter/Editor writes news and feature stories, covers events and supports and facilitates all aspects of content creation and online publishing for Episcopal News Service. The Reporter/Editor’s main function is to report and write news and feature stories; to cultivate sources across the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion; and to assist as needed with editing and posting copy to the ENS website, as well as setting up and programming the daily and weekly newsletters.
The position reports to the Managing Editor.
Duties & Essential Job Functions
Reports and writes news and feature stories
Maintains regular contact with diocesan communicators and scans diocesan newsletters to ensure local and churchwide news is delivered according to ENS editorial guidelines and style. Cultivates sources throughout the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion.
Copyedits, proofreads, and edits photos, as assigned by the managing editor, prior to publishing on the ENS website.
Works closely with the editors and freelancers to ensure news and all other content is disseminated accurately and in a timely manner.
Regularly utilizes social media for content distribution and audience engagement.
Other Functions And Responsibilities
- Must be able and willing to travel (approximately 10% of the time)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, English or communications with at least five to seven years’ experience in the field of daily journalism.
- Must have solid news judgement and reporting skills and proven ability to write on deadline.
- Must be able to manage multiple assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and constructively.
- Able to learn and stay current with news and digital communications functions.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills: must be self-motivated and be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion.
- Demonstrated skill working with content management systems, particularly WordPress, as well as and Photoshop and Microsoft Office applications.
- Advanced understanding of social media and its functions and benefits in telling the church’s stories.
- Previous reporting experience working for a daily news operation.
- Possess a working knowledge of The Episcopal Church, its history and traditions.
- Spanish-language skills.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
Must be willing and able to work in a broad range of office and field conditions, transporting computer and camera equipment in the field, and to travel, including to foreign countries.
The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society has worked hard to foster a work environment that is achievement-oriented, self-actualizing, encouraging and affirmative of the value of both Society colleagues and our customers. Every employee of the Society is valued for how work is done as well as what work is done.
Excellent benefits package with company paid benefits to include immediate vesting in the pension plan with 8% employer base and 4% employee match.
The DFMS requires each employee to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccination (i.e., at least two weeks have passed since the employee received the dose of a single-dose vaccine or the second dose of the two-dose vaccine with at least the recommended interval between doses) or obtain an approved exemption or reasonable accommodation through Human Resources within two weeks of their start date as a term and condition of employment. We consider fully vaccinated to include the booster when eligible.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE Those who believe they are qualified are encouraged to apply by clicking on the Apply Online link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=d1cae930-dd81-4f59-8d43-f40bce17a5fe&ccId=19000101_000001&type=JS&lang=en_US
In addition to completing the profile and submitting your résumé in the space provided, please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in reporting and writing for Episcopal News Service and include at least three professional references. If you encounter a problem with this online procedure, please contact HRM@episcopalchurch.org.
The Episcopal Church Center is the office of The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society (DFMS), the corporate body of the Episcopal Church. The DFMS is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified members of groups protected against discrimination in employment under applicable federal, state and municipal laws as well as the Canons of the Church and resolutions of General Convention.