|Date Posted||January 18, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Southeast Missourian seeks talented page designer
The Southeast Missourian seeks a page designer to join its news operations, working in a collaborative team environment where innovation is encouraged and celebrated. This candidate will be working for a family-owned media company in Cape Girardeau’s vibrant downtown that combines big-city attractions, a state university, and small-town charm.
- Designing both news and sports pages
- Posting content to affiliated websites
- Content promotion through social media and app push notifications
- Some reporting
The ideal candidate will have:
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign
- The ability to work effectively in a team
- The ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple stories/pages simultaneously
- Experience on the copy desk/design center of a daily newspaper (preferred, but other experience will be accepted)
- A desire to have fun and enjoy life with colleagues while working in a noble profession vital to our community
The Southeast Missourian has grown digital subscriptions by more than 400% since March 2018. In addition to its native digital platform, the publication produces an e-edition six days per week and a print product three days per week.
The talented team includes a mix of veteran and young reporters and an aggressive news, photo and sports staff. The staff has won an award for best investigative reporting in the state of Missouri multiple times, and day to day puts out meaningful and useful content to readers.
The Southeast Missourian was one of 10 newspapers in North America selected by Google, Local Media Association, and FTI Consulting for an accelerated project on digital subscriptions. It has previously been involved with Google on three other cutting-edge projects, as well as being a technology testing ground for the Associated Press. It was one of 30 news organizations — out of 300 applicants across North America — selected in 2021 to participate in a program with the Facebook Journalism Project.
The Southeast Missourian covers a metro area anchored by Cape Girardeau, which is a thriving community with four hospitals, a university, and a bustling downtown district on the riverfront of the Mississippi. In addition to its news products, Rust Communications operates a marketing agency, events division, and magazine operation in Cape Girardeau.
Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter describing why they would be a fit for the position. Applications should be submitted to assistant publisher Lucas Presson at email@example.com.