Editor, The Old Farmer's Almanac
Yankee Publishing, Inc.
Dublin, New Hampshire
|Date Posted||January 18, 2023|
|Industry||Magazines / Publishing|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
For only the 14th time since it began publication in 1792, America’s most trusted and widely read annual, The Old Farmer’s Almanac, finds itself in need of an Editor. The ideal candidate is someone who can craft compelling narratives that maintain the brand voice and has an appreciation for fact-based information. The original and still successful mission of The Old Farmer’s Almanac is to be “useful, with a pleasant degree of humor,” and the editor’s role is to perpetuate this vision for the Almanac and its family of publications.
The editor’s role is one of leadership and has the following responsibilities:
- Lead in the development of creative content of all OFA-branded products.
- Establish creative standards and manage the creative staff and freelance contributors to produce all of The Old Farmer’s Almanac publications on schedule and on budget.
- Inspire talented writers, artists, photographers, and scientists and have enthusiasm for keeping abreast of and sharing ever-changing consumer interests, needs, and motivations.
- Provide direction and content development of the brand’s print and digital publications.
- With Publisher, participate in the leadership of OFA product team and work with New Media, Advertising, and other departments and partners to develop and implement overall OFA strategy.
- Generate ideas to increase engagement through new technologies, social media, webinars, video, and other digital media.
- With Publisher, evaluate our material and physical systems, staffing needs, philosophy, and plan for the future.
- Support the public relations staff in positioning and promoting branded publications and media and serves as a brand/publication spokesperson in TV, online, radio, and print interviews.
The position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English literature, or other suitable Liberal Arts; 8 to 10 years consumer magazine editorial experience with a minimum of 5 years of management experience. An interest in and curiosity about weather, gardening, nature, folklore, astrology, food/cooking, and U.S. and Canadian history and culture. Good interpersonal skills and high energy, coupled with the ability to inspire and motivate a creative team. Effective project management skills; powerful organizational skills; strong verbal and written skills; and computer literacy (MAC). Previous media promotion experience also very valuable.
The Old Farmer’s Almanac is published by Yankee Publishing, Inc. Yankee Publishing, Inc. is 100% employee-owned and offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental, flexible spending accounts, paid holidays and vacation, 401K plan with employer match, and an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP).
Yankee Publishing provides a collaborative working environment along with a welcoming, inclusive corporate culture, where individuals are recognized for their contributions. We believe in diverse representation and strongly encourage people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, those with disabilities, and individuals from other underrepresented groups to apply.
This is a full-time, on-site, position in our Dublin, New Hampshire office. This is not a remote position. If applying and you live outside of the surrounding New Hampshire area, please communicate that you are willing to relocate in your cover letter.
- Your Resume
- A Letter of Intent, including your salary requirements
- Three professional writing samples (attach these in a pdf or link them in your cover letter)