Producer, Journalism Training Events
Saint Petersburg, Florida
|Date Posted||January 13, 2023|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The nonprofit Poynter Institute’s Experience and Events team seeks highly organized and motivated individuals to join us as Producers of our journalism training events. Our production team supports hundreds of live teaching events, training upwards of 70,000 journalists, educators, students, and public information communicators each year from all fifty states and around the globe. We are adding producers to support the increased demand for professional development training programs and the ongoing growth of the Institute.
Successful candidates will work in partnership with Poynter faculty, subject matter experts, event speakers, logistics coordinators, and audience engagement specialists to cultivate and execute world-class professional development experiences.
In this public-facing role, our producers are responsible for delivering high-quality participant and guest experiences (internal and external customers) in virtual, in-person, and hybrid environments. This position requires part technical support and part project management support. Producers are vital contributors to the Poynter experience, anticipating needs and ensuring smooth technical delivery of the training content and environment.
Producers are members of the Experience and Events team, which creates immersive experiences that bring Poynter content to people in person and in virtual spaces. We set a high bar for production value and go out of our way to strengthen relationships with our participants and partners. From high-touch engagement experiences to weeklong programs hosting journalists at our worldwide headquarters in St. Petersburg, Florida, or in other locations, the work of the Experience and Events team is focused on meeting, supporting, and inspiring audiences wherever they are. This role is a vital part of that mission.
Click here to see the job description.
In this role, you will collaborate with faculty and customer experience team members to deliver on the promise of Poynter’s world-renowned training programs. You will:
- Manage the technical delivery of live events to include providing technical guidance and instruction, tracking timing and deploying interactive activities, appearing on camera during virtual events to welcome participants and move them into breakout rooms, and providing technical support as needed.
- Work with stakeholders, including the faculty, subject matter experts, and experience/events colleagues, to envision the participant experience and identify related requirements and define expectations.
- Craft the event schedule/rundown in partnership with the lead presenter to outline the participant experience in terms of the timing of event components (teaching sessions, breaks, outings, etc.), coordination with internal and external event partners (logistics specialist, vendor management, teaching partners, etc.), delivery expectations, and to upload related assets.
- Set up and test in-person, virtual, and hybrid meeting spaces for live events.
- Review content/make recommendations for best-practice delivery based on expertise with platform features and capabilities.
- Perform technology checks with presenters several days in advance of the live event to ensure preparedness and run rehearsal to practice transitions and interactive activities and confirm the timing of event agenda/schedule/rundown.
- Work with faculty to ensure participants receive and complete pre-work assignments.
- Prepares seminar syllabus for seminar faculty and participants, as well as internal distribution and communication as appropriate with assistance from the customer experience supervisor.
- Installs, tests, and operates media equipment such as projectors, microphones, video monitors, and soundboards. You may also be required to alter the venue layout to enhance acoustics.
- Monitor overall comfort in the in-person room and make necessary adjustments.
- Switch presenter laptops with speed and accuracy in a live event environment.
- Prepare to reset in-person rooms with direction from lead faculty to strategically place participants to enhance their learning and networking experience.
- You are passionate about democracy, teamwork, and journalism.
- You love to problem solve, and you have experience managing complex, multi-layered projects with internal and external stakeholders.
- You have experience working in a live events environment, and you have an entrepreneurial mindset.
- You are innovative and self-motivated.
- You have strong professional writing, communication, and negotiation skills.
- You are dependable and reliable and can work independently.
- You pay attention to details.
- You understand the value of finesse and desire to create memorable guest experiences.
- You can prioritize multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced environment.
- You don’t mind working the occasional weekend or evening event.
- Bachelor's degree required with a preferred degree in journalism or communications.
- Strong aptitude for troubleshooting and ample computer skills with the ability to anticipate and resolve common issues and assist presenters and participants in working through complex technical challenges in real-time in a live teaching environment.
- Proficiency in event technology that drives the customer experience of Poynter teaching events, including software such as Zoom, Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite (including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator), and various presentation software (Keynote, PowerPoint, Slides, etc.).
- Knowledge of audio and video equipment and excellent troubleshooting skills that create superb audio and visual effects to enhance any live experience (Zoom, soundboards, microphone transmitters/receivers, audio/visual cables, cameras including BlackMagic cameras, Wirecast, etc.) with advanced knowledge of modern recording and sound mixing techniques such as Audition, Logic, and audio routing AVoIO solutions.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate professionally with teaching event partners and participants.
- High organizational standards with an ability to prioritize tasks while paying attention to multiple details.
- Able to work as an ambassador for the teaching event, anticipating faculty and participant needs and ensuring that the program runs smoothly for both faculty and attendees.
- 3+ years of experience executing and managing live virtual events for corporate clients and professional audiences.
- Effective project management skills and ability to meet tight deadlines and perform well under pressure.
- In-depth working knowledge of camera and lighting techniques and audiovisual editing equipment and software.
- Creativity, attention to detail, and flexibility.
- Strong communication, customer service, and organizational skills.
- Exceptional ability to collaborate on visual design projects and integrate feedback.
- Proficiency in keeping up with visual design technologies and industry trends.
- Hands-on experience as a virtual event host would be helpful.
No phone calls, please.
The position is based in St. Petersburg, FL.
Travel is anticipated for some producer roles up to 20% and tied to program and event schedules.
Annual salary range: $45,000 - $55,000 DOE
Send a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply: Monday, Feb. 13, 2023