The Concord Monitor, a daily newspaper and website, is looking for a motivated individual to support our mission to serve the community by pursuing local and statewide news.
The News Editor is part of the Monitor’s leadership team and will work directly with reporters, other editors and community members who want to get news to our readers.
Some of the responsibilities of this job include:
- Working in tandem with the editor-in-chief to advise and oversee reporting staff, including developing story ideas and the scope of news coverage.
- Proofreading and editing daily stories and posting to concordmonitor.com.
- Working with editors to keep the daily budget plan up to date and ensure we're meeting our digital and print deadlines.
- Working with other editors to organize longer-term reporting projects such as town meeting coverage, election coverage, and the type of special projects and series that are routinely recognized as among the best in New England.
- Planning special sections and glossy lifestyle magazine topics and assigning stories.
- Helping execute digital goals, which range from posting stories and sending breaking news alerts to keeping readers on our site longer with digital infographics, maps and searchable databases.
The ideal candidate has a willingness to learn new skills and likes moving at a quick pace. They will have a good news judgment and a desire to maintain an awareness of what’s happening in local communities, the region and the state. The ideal candidate is also organized with good time management.
The News Editor will have the opportunity to expand and shape the position and pursue other areas of interest, including special project reporting.
The Concord Monitor is committed to creating an inclusive workplace and welcomes the opportunity to diversify our newsroom. We are willing to consider qualified candidates regardless of years of experience for this role.
The Monitor recognizes there are candidates with important skills and experience that would benefit the News Editor position that we may not have considered. If that applies to you, please tell us more.
About the Monitor
The Concord Monitor is owned by Newspapers of New England, a family-owned group of six newspapers that serves readers in New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Plus, you’ll be based in a small city surrounded by recreational opportunities -- skiing and hiking in the White Mountains, the state’s seacoast and Boston all about an hour away. Diversity in hiring is a priority for the Concord Monitor. The Concord Monitor, started in 1864, was recently named the best newspaper in New Hampshire and the best in our circulation class in New England.
Send a cover letter and samples of your best work to publisher Steve Leone at email@example.com.