|Date Posted||January 11, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
The Seattle Times, the Pulitzer Prize-winning media company, is the trusted source for Northwest news, information and entertainment for people who care about thoughtful, independent journalism. We invite them to experience The Seattle Times where they want, when they want – because our community wants a watchdog that cares deeply about them and their world.
The Times editorial team is seeking a shrewd and enterprising Editorial Writer to help lead critical conversations important to the Puget Sound region and Washington state. The Editorial Writer will serve as a member of the editorial board, researching and making policy recommendations and writing insightful, persuasive editorials on behalf of The Times editorial board and the occasional personal column.
This person should be skilled at understanding complex issues, seeing both the big picture and the nuance in search of the answers to questions that matter. The writer should be open-minded but super-resistant to spin from political operatives and special interests. The writer should be passionate and collegial in debating issues with colleagues and skilled at cultivating sources. This person will contribute to the editorial page's online presence through leveraging social media to engage readers and sources. This person will be skilled at writing on deadline, responding quickly to the news of the day and looking for opportunities to break news.
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile doesn’t match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives.
- Experience: Minimum 5 years’ experience in journalism or a related field with particular experience in opinion writing.
- Education: Bachelor's degree, preferably in journalism or a related field.
- Applicant should already routinely use digital tools in journalism.
- Standard office considerations with workload dependent on daily demands and major project work.
- Substantial time spent at computer workstations, as well as inter-building collaboration.
Compensation: The full salary range for this position is $47,600 to $105,000. We typically pay between $70,000 and $105,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
- Medical, dental, vision and long-term disability insurance
- Employee assistance program and wellness bank
- Optional life and AD&D and long-term care insurance
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- 2 weeks of vacation per year, increasing to 4 weeks after 4 years
- 10 days of sick pay per year, unused sick pay accrues to extended illness bank
- 9 paid holidays
- Internet stipend for mostly remote employees
- Transit subsidy
- Complementary Seattle Times subscription
- Parental leave up to 6 months
Please Note: This position requires you to join a union and pay union dues as well as undergo a criminal background check as a consideration for employment.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 2.1 million. At The Seattle Times, you'll find work that matters.
If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a description of the reasonable accommodation(s) needed.