|Date Posted||January 25, 2023|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
Newsroom Data Visualization Summer 2023 Internship
The Hearst Newspapers (HNP) DevHub is hiring a Summer 2023 Newsroom Data Visualization Intern who is passionate about local news, journalism and service to our communities. In this role, you’ll work with local newsrooms to take digital projects from conception to execution, optimize our election and project-publishing rigs, and develop tools and storytelling products for our Hearst partners across the country.
The HNP DevHub is a team of developers, designers, project managers and content strategists who collaborate with local newsrooms to create best-in-class digital experiences. We make things like election results pages, searchable databases, severe weather trackers, elegantly designed alternative story forms and whatever else you can dream up.
Ideal candidates will be able to showcase some of the following. We do not expect candidates to be proficient in every area.
- Experience in a modern newsroom (including student publications) or a related work environment.
- Working knowledge of Git and Github.
- Proficiency with Excel and Google Sheets.
- Ability to self-manage and handle multiple projects and fast deadlines.
- Appreciation of Slack, Zoom and other remote-friendly tools.
- Experience creating wireframes and iterating with feedback.
- Any experience with the following tools/systems is a plus:
- Experience with backend languages such as Node, Python or PHP.
- Experience ingesting APIs and using web-scraping tools alongside AWS systems such as S3, EC2, Lambda.
- Experience with data analysis and data visualization, using tools such as D3, Adobe Illustrator/ai2html, Datawrapper, R, Python and SQL.
- Improve and maintain a suite of tools and templates that newsrooms use to tell visual stories and produce interactive projects.
- Collaborate with team members on data-driven projects.
- Learn how to create digital tools and experiences to make communities stronger and readers’ lives easier.
If you’re passionate about ambitious local journalism, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We know there are many great candidates who may not check all of these boxes.
- This position is full-time and paid: $16.99/hour.
- This position will have a Monday-to-Friday daytime schedule but weekend and evening work may be required as news warrants.
- Remote work friendly. The team is based in San Francisco and New York City, but we can employ in 22 states overall and the District of Columbia.
These are the states covered: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin, as well as Washington, D.C.
Vaccination Requirement: As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodation on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Portfolio: Please include in your application links to a portfolio site or to individual work, along with brief explanations of your role in the execution of the pieces.
With more than 3,000 employees across the nation, HNP (Hearst Newspapers) publishes 24 dailies and 52 weeklies, including the San Francisco Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News and Albany Times Union. We believe in the power of local news and we’re building teams to help elevate our journalists’ impact in the communities we serve.
At Hearst, it is our mission to be the most trusted, most respected and most accurate source of news and information in the communities that we serve. We place our readers' interests above all others, and dedicate ourselves to the principles of truthfulness, fairness and independence. We understand that the free flow of accurate information is vital to our system of government and the foundations of our economy.
Come join our world-class digital team!