|Date Posted||January 24, 2023|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
Audience Development, Search & Content Analytics Summer 2023 Intern
The Hearst Newspapers (HNP) DevHub is hiring a Summer 2023 Audience Development Intern who is passionate about local news, journalism and service to our communities. You’ll help our newsrooms grow their audience and understand reader habits and needs. Your work will include researching search trends, supporting the planning and execution of evergreen content, and providing content analytics support to newsrooms.
The HNP DevHub is a team of content strategists, developers, designers, project managers and who collaborate with local newsrooms to create best-in-class digital experiences. We help newsrooms make audience-centric decisions rooted in best practices in search, newsletters and social platforms. Our team also makes things like election results pages, searchable databases, severe weather trackers, elegantly designed alternative story forms and whatever else you can dream up.
Ideal candidates will be able to showcase some of the following. We do not expect candidates to be proficient in every area.
- Prior newsroom experience (including student publications) or a related environment is a plus
- Interest in SEO and a passion for digital content strategy.
- Proficiency with Excel and Google Sheets. Experience with Google Analytics, Chartbeat or Parse.ly is a plus.
- Ability to self-manage and handle multiple projects and fast deadlines.
- Appreciation of Slack, Zoom and other remote-friendly tools.
- Familiarity with Google Trends a plus.
- Perform keyword research to identify content gaps and emerging trends.
- Contribute to drafting recommendations for evergreen content planning and execution.
- Pitch trending stories to newsrooms, with support from SEO Director.
- Assist in tracking reporting on traffic and reader engagement metrics.
If you’re passionate about ambitious local journalism, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We know there are many great candidates who may not check all of these boxes.
- This position is full-time and paid: $17/hour.
- This position will have a Monday-to-Friday daytime schedule but weekend and evening work may be required as news warrants.
- Remote and hybrid work friendly. The team is based in San Francisco and New York City, but we can employ in 22 states overall and the District of Columbia.=
These are the states covered: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin, as well as Washington, D.C.
Vaccination Requirement: As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodation on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
Portfolio: Please include in your application links to a portfolio site or to individual work, along with brief explanations of your role in the execution of the pieces.
With more than 3,000 employees across the nation, HNP (Hearst Newspapers) publishes 24 dailies and 52 weeklies, including the San Francisco Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News and Albany Times Union. We believe in the power of local news and we’re building teams to help elevate our journalists’ impact in the communities we serve.
At Hearst, it is our mission to be the most trusted, most respected, and most accurate source of news and information in the communities that we serve. We place our readers' interests above all others, and dedicate ourselves to the principles of truthfulness, fairness and independence. We understand that the free flow of accurate information is vital to our system of government and the foundations of our economy.
Come join our world-class digital team!