|Date Posted||November 22, 2022|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
Hearst Newspapers is seeking an Editor to join the Performance Content team in a role focused on executing a growth strategy around national lifestyle and service content.
HNP is looking for an experienced digital media editor with proven SEO experience to build new and improve existing search-focused content on a diverse range of topics including home, garden, nutrition, technology, career guidance and more. This content currently lives on subdomains of a few HNP sites, including SFGate.com and Chron.com. This position will be responsible for updating, improving and publishing new content as means of building organic search growth to the sites. You will work closely with the Performance Content team in order to help develop the content strategy for these sites as well as build out a team of contributors who can write, revise and edit content as needed.
The ideal candidate will have 4+ years of experience, ideally within a service or lifestyle journalism environment. The candidate best fit for this role has a track record of writing, editing and producing exceptional digital content and also has experience assigning work and managing a network of contributors. You should have a solid understanding of SEO best practices and how to craft content with search performance in mind.
- Lead editorial operations in order to successfully scale new content development and update/renovation work
- Ensure all work meets the highest quality standards while also meeting KPIs
- Collaborate with Head of Performance Content and SEO consultant to develop and refine content strategy
- Lean on analytics and SEO tools to track performance and inform future work
- Lead a team of contributors
- Develop documentation related to freelance management and operations, such as training materials and a style guide
- Take a creative, thoughtful, data-informed approach to writing lifestyle and service content; aim to publish content that builds trust while informing and delighting readers
- Become a proactive member of a small but growing team dedicated to driving search growth within a legacy newspaper environment.
- Work collaboratively across teams, including business intelligence, editorial, commerce, revenue and product
- 4+ years of digital editorial experience
- Experience building/optimizing articles for search
- Solid understanding of the digital media environment and how to create winning, trusted content from conception to publication
- Interest in lifestyle/service journalism and the topics listed above
- Experience with content operations and a proven ability to manage contributors
- Comfort navigating a new CMS and training others to do the same
- Good project management skills with experience managing multiple projects for different teams at one time
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Semrush, Trello, AirTable, AP Style or similar
- Strong communication & collaboration skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
The annual base pay range for this role is between $80,000 to $98,000.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodations on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.