Boulder Reporting Lab
|Date Posted||November 21, 2022|
Boulder Reporting Lab (BRL) is seeking a newsroom editor to help grow our editorial team and raise the level of impact at a critical and thrilling time for our new nonprofit newsroom. The editor will help shape and shepherd a creative editorial vision as our team approaches its first anniversary of publishing.
Since our launch in November 2021, BRL has built an engaged and growing readership through high-quality community journalism and a unique distribution model. There are many more people in our community we want to reach, however. The ideal candidate will have innovative ideas to help us do that and be attuned to the trends in startup local journalism. You will sharpen and expand our coverage based on engagement with residents, community leaders and others. You will help steward existing journalism collaborations and foster new ones. You will expand our network of freelance contributors. You will work with the publisher to develop new capacities for breaking news and other editorial content that community members are asking for. You will contribute reporting and writing.
This is a vital position for our three-person startup newsroom that will require passion for local journalism and belief in its power to transform communities. And while this role is focused on editorial, every position on our small team is involved with building a sustainable newsroom that meets Boulder’s information needs. That aspect of the job – of creating something new and lasting for (and with) our community – is important and must excite you.
There is no single ideal candidate for this role. Our small team has walked unique paths and brings a diverse set of skills, and we imagine you will bring your own distinctive strengths. This is not an entry-level position. We’re looking for someone with real-world reporting and editing and, ideally, newsroom leadership experience. You probably have at least five years of working in newsroom roles, and possibly more.
If you have less newsroom training, or if you’ve never worked in a newsroom but have adjacent experience and a vision for this position, we also encourage you to apply. Importantly, we’re looking for someone who brings innovative ideas and can thrive in a startup environment. We are committed to representing the voices of communities in Boulder County. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Given our community mission, this position will be located in or near Boulder. Boulder is a beautiful city at the base of the Rocky Mountains. It is also full of complexities. The issues facing the city and county are a microcosm of the complicated, overlapping issues swirling around the Mountain West, and require an interest in (and commitment to) understanding. These include climate change impacts and solutions, lack of affordable housing, inequity, local development and land-use battles, a changing workforce and economy and more – and how these challenges intersect. If you already know Boulder and its policies and politics, that’s a plus.
Boulder Reporting Lab is a proud member of the Institute for Nonprofit News, of Local Independent Online News (LION) Publishers and of the Colorado News Collaborative (COLab). This position is salaried and full-time. The salary range is $65,000 – $80,000, with opportunity for growth.
- A strong portfolio of articles you have lead-edited that demonstrate an ability to tell complex, human-centered stories that are revelatory and explain issues clearly and concisely.
- Versatility for editing across formats — from in-depth and data-driven stories to compelling profiles, explainers and short news briefs, curated newsletter information and social media posts.
- Experience hiring and managing reporters and freelancers, including assigning stories and handling breaking news events.
- Facility with reporting and writing your own stories on deadline.
- An understanding of the revenue challenges facing local news businesses and a keen interest in being part of solving them.
- An interest in solutions journalism and in challenging entrenched narratives.
- A love for local news – and hand in hand with that is a love for local politics, policy and other things that make a community tick, from food and restaurants to community profiles and ideological peculiarities.
- A commitment to building an inclusive and thoughtful work environment.
We’d be really excited if you also have
- Demonstrated interest in Boulder-specific issues, including local climate challenges, housing and development, and crime and criminal justice.
- Daily newsroom experience.
- Newsroom leadership experience.
- Experience editing award-winning journalism.
- Spanish proficiency.
- Comfort with working with datasets.
- Data visualization chops.
- Proficiency with WordPress and Mailchimp.
- Knack for aesthetic design and photography.
What your day-to-day (or week-to-week) work might look like
- Lead-edit feature stories and news briefs.
- Oversee the production of our a.m. newsletter, BRL Today, in our website’s content management system and contribute content to it.
- Publish content across our social media channels.
- Assign stories and breaking news coverage.
- Write stories, including news briefs and breaking news.
- Follow state and local (City of Boulder and Boulder County) public affairs, including tuning into weekly city council meetings as needed.
- Manage our editorial calendar.
- Run our daily news meeting.
- Work with colleagues on brainstorming membership and fundraising campaigns as needed, as well as occasional events.
- Manage reporters, freelancers and interns.
How to Apply
If you are an experienced journalist, have a vision to bring to our team, and have some combination of the skills we listed, please apply. Don’t meet every requirement but the job description or BRL excites you? Also, please don’t hesitate to apply. We understand that no single candidate will have the exact combination of skills and experiences listed. And you may be just the right candidate for this position, or others.
To apply, send your resume and your best clips to Stacy Feldman at firstname.lastname@example.org (publisher). In your email, tell us about yourself and your past work, why you’re interested in this role, and how you might help us grow and achieve greater impact.
We will begin reviewing applications as we receive them. We will continue to consider candidates as long as this job ad remains on our website.
More About Boulder Reporting Lab
BRL is a one-year-old nonprofit, non-partisan local news organization in Boulder, Colorado. Our mission is to deliver high-quality, local-first reporting that helps people make sense of issues and events happening around them and build community. We’re the only independent, digital, not-for-profit newsroom in our city and county.
Our journalism is data-driven, solutions-focused and service-oriented, and we’re committed to covering the issues of greatest community pride and concern. BRL’s leadership team also brings years of experience in nonprofit news and local journalism. Its founder previously co-founded a national news startup that won several of journalism’s most prestigious awards, including the Pulitzer Prize. We have built a strong foundation of readers and supporters since our November 2021 launch, with seed funding, and will be looking to grow exponentially over the next few years.