|Date Posted||November 18, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Western Pennsylvania’s largest newspaper, is looking for an ambitious and innovative journalist to lead a reporting team in one of America’s most dynamic medical communities. We are looking for someone with the passion and skill to develop a coverage strategy that encompasses everything from cutting-edge medical treatments to game-changing research developments. The region is home to colleges such as the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, Duquesne University and West Virginia University, as well as health-care organizations such as UPMC, Allegheny Health Network and Excela. We’re looking for an editor to tap the region’s many education and medical institutions to develop coverage of issues ranging from exercise and diet to mental health, from cancer research to COVID-19 care. The goal: tell stories from places that matter most to our readers -- research labs, hospitals, fitness centers, health agencies and beyond.
The Post-Gazette’s health and wellness editor will help produce a popular weekly health section, assign and edit stories, work with freelancers, and engage with our audiences on all platforms. This is a full-time position.
- Understand how the health-care field works, both in terms of treatment and research
- Be able to cultivate a timely, well-reported and thought-provoking coverage plan
- Possess strong editing skills and innovative storytelling approaches
- Perform effectively on deadline with designers, both for digital and print presentations, to create compelling multimedia packages
- Be eager to invent and design experiences and innovate new story forms that become regular elements of our coverage
- Develop a vision for the Post-Gazette’s health coverage
Other Things to Know
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- We encourage everyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it
- As an equal opportunity employer, the Post-Gazette is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, and we encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with special needs
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism
- 3 to 7 years of experience, preferably on digital platforms
- Knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage and mentor staff
- Display exceptional work ethic, time management, and organization skills
To apply, please email Managing Editor Teresa Lindeman (firstname.lastname@example.org).