Publications Specialist - Position #10166
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Upper Marlboro, United States
|Date Posted||November 18, 2022|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||$49,361 to $87,419/YR|
Publications Specialist (10166, Grade 18)
The Prince George’s County Planning Department of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking a Publications Specialist to join our planning team. We are looking for an outstanding editor with some design skills for our public-facing documents, which include long-form master plans as well as brochures, flyers, digital media, and general public outreach. The editor will be part of a hardworking team who reviews our publications, communications, and public outreach/event materials. This editor should go beyond looking for grammar mistakes (but catch those too) and look for the best way to tell a story, be able to reshape writing to fit the audience, and help coach subject matter experts in best practices.
The Prince George's County Planning Department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George's County, Maryland. As the second-most populous county in Maryland, Prince George's has a population of approximately 900,000 residents, is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. If you are interested in working for the Prince George's County Planning Department, we invite qualified candidates to apply.
Examples of Important Duties
The publications section of the Department edits and designs all plans, studies, and external communications, including social media, event and community meeting promotion, posters/signage, mailings, and more.
- Experience in fact checking, citations, proof reading, and ensuring accuracy, consistency, and conformance to a style guide.
- Experience using tracked changes and working with authors, supervisors, and other editors to ensure quality of product.
- Experience transforming technical writing into easy-to-access public-facing information.
- This editor is also adept at digital layout and graphic design of long-form documents as well as brochures, posters, and other print and digital mediums. (Using Adobe Creative Suite)
- Experience with Chicago Manual of Style and government or nonprofit publications.
- Journalists with copy editing and design experience encouraged to apply.
1. High school graduation or GED; and
2. Six years of progressively responsible experience in graphic arts and editing, and some specialized training to include course work in commercial arts, graphic arts, or related area; or
3. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Why Prince George’s Planning?
• Telework opportunities
• Flexible schedules
• Complimentary access to M-NCPPC gymnasiums throughout Prince George’s County
• Free parking is available for employees
• Professional development opportunities/Tuition assistance
• Positions may qualify for federal student loan forgiveness assistance
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $49,361 to $87,419 (salary is commensurate with education and experience) at the Publications Specialist level with excellent benefits including generous leave, extensive health coverage, deferred compensation plan, and employee pension plan.
The Prince George’s County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Person(s) hired for this position must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (with limited religious or medical exceptions).
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate a workplace culture of diversity, equity and inclusion without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other non-merit factor.
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
7833 Walker Drive
Greenbelt, Maryland, 20770