Journalism Development Director
Remote (preferably Raleigh or Charlotte), United States
|Date Posted||November 17, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||$80,000 to $85,000|
McClatchy seeks a fundraising professional to join the company’s News Funding Team as the Journalism Development Director for the Southeast Region.
A healthy free and independent press is critical to the health of our democracy and our local communities. As the McClatchy Company advances efforts to build a sustainable new business model for local media companies in the digital age, the mission of the News Funding Team is to support this effort by working with the philanthropic community to raise funds that add journalists and other resources to local newsrooms. These added journalists and resources fill critical gaps in coverage and support efforts to have a positive impact on our communities.
The Journalism Development Director for the Southeast Region will work with local newsrooms located in North and South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky and Mississippi to help expand community and foundation support for their various local reporting needs. This position bridges the gap between those who want to support and fund powerful local journalism and our efforts to deliver it.
The successful candidate will manage existing funder relationships and will work to make initial contacts and develop proposals for new funding opportunities in close collaboration with regional and local editors. S/he will be expected to write grant proposals and applications and report back to entities that award them. Collaboration and strong communication skills are critical, as is the ability to listen effectively.
The successful candidate will have a passion for vibrant, informed communities and experience in development and prospecting. S/he will use data to support effective asks and master follow-through as we build and strengthen relationships that lead to smart partnerships and funding opportunities that help us expand the impact of our journalism.
This position reports to the Director of Philanthropic Partnerships, based in Central California, and will work closely with leaders in McClatchy newsrooms to identify coverage opportunities and responsibly match them with funding sources. There will be oversight responsibility for existing grants. While the position is based in North Carolina, it will require periodic travel to other Southeast McClatchy markets.
The ideal candidate will bring at least three years of demonstrated success as a front-line fundraiser, with experience of raising money and developing strong funding relationships. S/he must have a strong commitment to the role of a free press in a democratic society and enthusiasm for our local watchdog mission.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Understand, assess, and develop plans for areas for growth within identified opportunity categories
- Research potential donors to gain insight into needs, beliefs and donation habits to understand when one might be a good fit
- Create proposals and relevant correspondence with potential community funders
- Communicate the ROI of the program/funding support to funders
- Actively manage relationships by reporting program/reporting results. Identify follow-up opportunities
- Target and build relationships with potential supporters within local markets and statewide
- Work collaboratively with news, finance, advertising, as well as other departments
- Plan and participate in fundraising visits and calls with editors and others as needed
- Create marketing materials, like flyers and brochures, to be used for the promotion of events and other fundraising pushes
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Exemplary communication abilities and outgoing, yet poised personality
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent organizational abilities and attention to detail
- At least three years of fundraising experience
- Quick thinker and ability to make decisions under pressure
- Collaborative spirit
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.