|Date Posted||November 14, 2022|
|Industry||Magazines / Publishing, Digital Media|
Niche Publications is seeking a dynamic and savvy journalist to take on the role of managing editor for three of its St. Louis-based magazines: Ladue News (community, culture and lifestyle), St. Louis Best Bridal (bridal) and ABODE (interior design).
The managing editor will be directly responsible for managing the production process of each magazine’s print and digital content, from brief news articles to longform features, ensuring the relevance and timeliness of coverage and making sure contributors meet deadlines and deliver outstanding content.
Ideal candidates are incredibly organized and have an adaptable workflow and a positive attitude. The Niche staff operates efficiently and effectively through collaborative teamwork and caffeine. Our new managing editor will work closely with the editor-in-chief and will be responsible for fostering and elevating each brand’s growth, organizing daily production details from assigning to fact-checking to copyediting, and crafting feature pitches and stories of their own. The person in this role must share the staff’s dedicated mission of connecting St. Louis’ community to strong stories of people doing amazing things in our area.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assigns all print content, ensuring that deadlines are established and kept. Edits and is accountable for all print content, including coordinating fact checking, copyediting and proofreading to ensure accuracy and adherence to house and AP styles.
- Leads editorial meetings, including content-planning meetings, and models good writing, editing and deadline compliance
- Manages a team of freelance writers
- Writes and reports as needed for the print magazine and website.
- Assists the editor-in-chief in developing the editorial calendar and achieving a strategic voice and vision for the publications
- Manages the editorial budget, including collecting and processing all freelance writer invoices
- Acts as representative for the magazines, attending events and promoting the brands in the community.
- Stays on top of what’s current in local culture and news and keeps abreast of national trends
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, media, communications or related field and at least five years of progressive experience in magazine editing and content development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Command of AP Style and editorial best practices
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong writing and editing abilities
- Solid story-pitching abilities
- CMS experience
- SEO expertise
- Fantastic organizational abilities
- Demonstrated progressive experience in magazine publishing
- Understanding of and experience in digital and social media
- Ability to manage a budget and juggle multiple deadlines and projects
- Desire to connect with the local community and develop strong working relationships with contributors
- Competitive salary with a choice of medical plans, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, paid parental leave, 401(k) with company match, generous vacation and work-from-home policies. Relocation costs will not be reimbursed.
Apply here. Please attach three to five published, relevant writing samples.
Why Join Us?
Lee Enterprises offers competitive wages in a dynamic, interesting work environment with career growth opportunities. We offer an extensive benefit program that can be personalized to your needs. Our benefit program includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, company provided life insurance and supplemental life insurance. In addition, we offer a 401K retirement plan with company match. We also offer generous paid time off to allow the flexibility to balance personal life and work. This includes paid parental leave for new parents.
Lee Enterprises is a leading provider of high-quality local news, with 77 daily newspapers in 26 states that have print, digital and e-replica versions. Lee's newspapers have a combined circulation of more than 1.2 million daily. Our digital sites attract more than 44 million unique visits monthly. We also have a rapidly growing roster of digital products for consumers, and are committed to aggressive digital growth.
Lee Enterprises is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting and retaining a workforce whose diversity reflects the communities we serve. Lee embraces change, and we recognize that we must create and maintain a culture of fervent inclusion. For more information about Lee, check us out at www.lee.net.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply.