|Date Posted||November 06, 2022|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Editor, College Student Perspectives
Inside Higher Ed, the leading source for news, commentary and analysis about higher education, seeks an enterprising, inquisitive journalist to focus on developing and reporting on surveys of college students. This is an opportunity to focus on a project that helps higher ed professionals better understand student experiences and needs so that colleges can offer effective services and supports – keeping students in college, on track for graduation and ready to successfully transition from their undergraduate years to a desired career or a next stage of learning.
Responsibilities will include:
- Working with outside polling firm to develop student surveys related to academic life, campus experiences, health and wellness, and career development
- Analyzing survey results, digging deeply into data to pull out meaningful trends and potential narratives
- Reporting on and writing at least one feature, involving creating charts using a data visualization platform, per month
- Establishing connections with student success-focused higher education professionals
- Writing survey data previews and encouraging readers to react to the findings and share related programs and initiatives as well as offer calls to action for higher education
- Editing reader contributions for publication or for inclusion in roundup articles
- Assisting with writing of other student success-related content, as time allows
- Placing articles into content management system, following internal procedures and best practices
- Assisting in webcast event planning and post-event coverage
- Helping to share content and encourage reader conversation via social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram) and online and/or live events
- Keeping up with higher education trends as related to student success efforts, to gain confidence in identifying questions to include in future surveys
- Interacting with project sponsors to help in developing coverage ideas (Note: Inside Higher Ed retains editorial content control)
- Have 5+ years of professional journalism experience, including some data journalism experience
- Be driven and organized, with the ability to juggle multiple assignments at once
- Have strong interest in higher education, ideally including work or engagement with one or more campus offices while in college
- Be comfortable in developing a professional presence as an expert in college student experiences and support needs
- Ideally live in the greater D.C. area (although consideration will be given to candidates living elsewhere)
Inside Higher Ed publishes breaking news, features, commentary, blogs and other content (including audio and video) each weekday, and has established itself as an authoritative, independent voice for its 2.5 million unique monthly users and 240,000 daily e-mail subscribers. We offer competitive pay, generous benefits (including heavily subsidized health, dental and life insurance premiums), and 18 days' paid time off plus federal holidays. Our office is centrally located in downtown D.C.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to work collaboratively with smart and dedicated colleagues, apply today using this link with your resume, a cover letter outlining your interest in this role, and five clips that show your range, including your ability to cover surveys or other research.
Inside Higher Ed is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We are unable to sponsor visa holders for this position. No contract opportunities available.
As an organization, Inside Higher Ed is committed to providing a safe work environment for all employees and visitors. This position will require proof of full COVID vaccination prior to employment.