|Date Posted||November 06, 2022|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Reporter / Content Creator, College Student Success
Inside Higher Ed, the leading source for news, commentary and analysis about higher education, seeks an enterprising, inquisitive journalist to focus on elevating best practices for supporting students and helping to ensure their success in college and beyond. This is an exciting opportunity to help launch a new project aimed at providing higher education professionals with actionable advice and ideas.
Responsibilities will include:
- Writing or editing 8-10 content pieces per week, including reported stories, roundup articles, results of reader polls, and short profiles using reader submissions and follow-up communication, as needed
- Placing articles and calls for submissions into content management system, following internal procedures and best practices, including the use of appropriate visuals (such as simple charts created on a data visualization platform)
- Establishing connections with student success-focused higher education professionals and reaching out as needed to encourage content contributions
- Helping to share content and encourage reader conversation via social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram) and occasional online and/or live events
- Assisting with development and execution of reader polls
- Keeping up with higher education trends as related to student success efforts, to gain confidence in identifying new trends and unique story angles
- Have two or more years full-time professional journalism experience, ideally with demonstrated ability to think critically about the best way to present information
- Be driven and organized, with the ability to juggle multiple assignments at once and meet daily deadlines
- Be entrepreneurial -- interested in producing, and helping to establish parameters for, a variety of creative and useful article formats
- Have strong interest in higher education
- Be comfortable in developing a professional presence as an expert in college student success
- Ideally live in the greater D.C. area (although consideration will be given to candidates living elsewhere)
Inside Higher Ed publishes breaking news, features, commentary, blogs and other content (including audio and video) each weekday, and has established itself as an authoritative, independent voice for its 2.5 million unique monthly users and 240,000 daily e-mail subscribers. We offer competitive pay, generous benefits (including heavily subsidized health, dental and life insurance premiums), and 18 days' paid time off plus federal holidays. Our office is centrally located in downtown D.C.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to work collaboratively with smart and dedicated colleagues, apply today using this link with your resume, a cover letter outlining your interest in this role, and five clips that show your range.
Reporters at Inside Higher Ed are represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild.
Inside Higher Ed is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We are unable to sponsor visa holders for this position. No contract opportunities available.
As an organization, Inside Higher Ed is committed to providing a safe work environment for all employees and visitors. This position will require proof of full COVID vaccination prior to employment.