Lockport Union Sun & Journal
Lockport, New York
|Date Posted||November 04, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Salary||$30,000 to $35,000|
The Lockport Union Sun & Journal, a six-day newspaper located in Lockport, NY, is seeking a reporter ready to dive into local coverage. Qualified candidates will have solid writing and reporting skills, familiarity with social media and the ability to work quickly and efficiently on deadline. We're looking for a community-minded, enterprising self-starter who's able to manage a municipal beat while fielding spot news and generating enterprise features for both our online and daily print publications while contributing to our social media outlets.
• Take the reigns of a local coverage area and develop stories that impact the community.
• Provide photos and video as needed.
• Active use of personal social media accounts to share stories and provide updates on breaking stories.
• Bachelor's in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• This can be an entry-level position, but 1-2 years' reporting/newsroom experience is highly preferred.
• Adept at taking photos and video and the ability to file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
• Strong command of grammar and AP style.
• Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
• Ability to multi-task and perform under deadline.
• Past editing and newspaper design work is a definite plus.
To apply, email resume, cover letter with indication of salary expectations and three samples of your best work to Managing Editor Matt Winterhalter at firstname.lastname@example.org . Note: candidates for hire assume their own interview and relocation expenses.
The Niagara Gazette and Union-Sun & Journal newsrooms work in tandem in their coverage of the Western New York region. A half-hour's drive north of Buffalo, Niagara Falls is a demographically diverse community located next to one of North America's most iconic natural wonders.
Benefits includes health, dental and vision, as well as life insurance, long-term and short-term disability, and 401(k). An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time