Oregon Health & Science University
|Date Posted||October 26, 2022|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
[Contract/freelance – Oregon/SW Washington]
OHSU is looking for experienced writers. These are contract positions for individual writers (not agencies). We are seeking writers with exceptional skills in:
- Writing crisp, rigorously accurate copy.
- Gathering information, including through interviews and in-depth research.
- Translating complicated information into plain, engaging language.
- Creating compelling content for a digital audience.
- Writing for mobile audiences.
Work is flexible and as needed per project, up to 30 hours a week. There is no guarantee of hours. To apply, you must qualify as an independent contractor under IRS rules.
Contract writers will write and update information about health care conditions and services for an online patient and parent audience. Successful candidates will have a strong interest in learning about medical conditions and services, and translating that information into authoritative, clear and engaging copy.
- At least three years’ professional experience in writing.
- A strong interest in OHSU’s missions of healing, teaching and discovery, particularly as they relate to patient health care.
- A demonstrated ability to produce precise, compelling, rigorously accurate content.
- A demonstrated ability to gather information from a wide variety of authoritative sources. Applicants must have a strong working knowledge of where to find reliable information and how to ensure that it’s accurate.
- Familiarity with writing for the web and mobile audiences.
- Familiarity with digital engagement best practices.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to gracefully accept feedback and direction.
- Exceptional skills in spelling, grammar and usage.
- Strong knowledge of AP style or willingness to quickly learn.
- Willingness to learn additional OHSU style guidelines.
- Interviewing skills; ability to prepare compelling questions but also to think on your feet.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work for a complex, decentralized organization that requires rigor, persistence, patience, humor, humility and compromise.
- Ability to produce excellent copy without a byline or credit line.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher (any major).
- A background in journalism.
- Familiarity with medical and health issues.
- The ability to suggest ideas for creative solutions and to see how tasks and projects fit in the big picture.
- Familiarity with marketing concepts.
- Familiarity with page-design basics.
- Familiarity with health care literacy.
- Demonstrated ability in using storytelling techniques.
To apply, please submit the following documents to Kara Christenson at firstname.lastname@example.org by Nov. 30, 2022. Make sure to include your name in the document titles, as in: “Abby Jones resume.pdf”
- Cover letter in PDF format.
- Resume in PDF format.
- Up to five published samples of your work, as links or PDFs. They should demonstrate:
- Your ability to gather clear, relevant information, preferably from both interviews and research.
- Your ability to translate complicated ideas into plain, engaging copy.
- Your ability to present information in easy-to-digest formats.
- Your understanding of digital best practices.
- Short responses to essay questions in PDF format.
- Describe your interest in working for OHSU and writing about health care topics. (up to 300 words)
- What makes writing compelling and engaging? How do you strive to achieve that in your writing? (up to 500 words)
- Your price sheet or pay expectations.
- While your pay rate is part of your proposal, we can share that our current writers have rates between $50 and $110 per hour. This range includes different types of writing work. If you have different rates for different types of work (research, writing, technical writing, editing, etc.), you can list those in your proposal.