REPORTER, General Assignment with Health Focus
|Date Posted||March 10, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
LNP | LancasterOnline, a family-owned daily newspaper and subscription-based site with one of the largest circulations in Pennsylvania, is looking for a general assignment reporter who will specialize in health and wellness. General assignment reporters are storytellers, nimble investigators, curious researchers. Do you love to break down complex ideas for easy consumption? Are you curious about how changing rules or new products might matter to regular people – and are you willing to find out and tell them? Do you love connecting with people, and writing in a way that readers connect, too? Necessary skills and attributes are urgency, curiosity and a need to make our product relentlessly interesting. This reporter might partner with the environment reporter on lead abatement or how tainted well-water can make children sick, or they might work with local doctors on an analysis of what vaccine is right for who and when. This position reports to the work/wellness team leader and deputy.
This reporter is expected to:
Exercise solid news judgment, a sense of urgency and the highest journalistic standards.
Produce daily as well as mid- and longer-range enterprise stories.
Regularly curate and aggregate content from other sources and present them with relevance and context for our LancasterOnline audience, with additional commentary and explanation.
Actively build a social media presence by posting content and engaging with our audience. Look for video and social opportunities for story coverage.
Use digital metrics to gauge how well stories perform with our LancasterOnline audience and, with input from editors, decide how to improve poor performers or stop writing about topics that perform poorly altogether.
Brainstorm and collaborate with other members of the Work & Wellness Team to break news, launch projects and layer coverage in proven high reader-interest areas.
Reporters are expected to develop authoritative sources in the community, collaborate with other LNP | LancasterOnline journalists and identify stories that are compelling to this community news organization’s audience. Reporters are also expected to meet the demands of a growing digital audience by routinely using social media, shooting photographs and video, and understanding how to post their work using a content-management system.
In addition to the essential functions listed above, the employee is expected to exercise honesty, integrity and respect with all clients and co-workers, preserve confidentially of all business information and data, maintain a professional appearance and demeanor, demonstrate a positive attitude, communicate effectively with co-workers and clients, work with accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail, respect the work environment and keep it as environmentally friendly as possible, and exercise initiative to learn new skills and tasks and to help co-workers when possible. Reliable attendance and punctuality are also required. The employee is also expected to perform other related duties, special projects and functions as required from time to time.
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, mass communications or related field is required, with a proven knowledge and experience working with current media creation tools and contemporary newsroom systems, producing digital and print content, preferred.
· May be required to meet AP writing style, depending on the publication.
· Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
· Must be able to work nights and weekends as necessary.
· Team player who enjoys a fast-paced work environment.
· Wishes to work in a business environment in which every employee seeks to be great every day.
· Required to use a computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse for extended periods of time.
· Ability to lift up to 20 pounds on occasion.
· Proficient use of PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet, photo/video equipment
· Ability to travel to events or venues for stories.
· Ability to work nights or weekends on occasion.
Reasonable accommodations for disability:
Any employee who believes that a reasonable accommodation is required for purposes of federal or state disability law is required to contact Human Resources to begin the interactive exchange process.