|Date Posted||September 22, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
Houston Business Journal is looking for an Associate Editor.
The Associate Editor is a critical player in the planning and production of the weekly print product, and also contributes to the weekly and daily digital cycles in multiple ways: helping plan and execute special publications and focus sections, copy editing, and creating a digital strategy around that content. This is a perfect position for someone looking to get their feet wet in the editing world.
The Associate Editor will coordinate and edit our awards publication content, ensuring accuracy at the highest level, and will also contribute to content creation by occasionally writing articles for special reports, award publications and other special print publications as needed. The Associate Editor will also help contribute to the website content on a daily basis.
The Associate Editor also may serve, at the direction of the Editor, as the editorial department’s liaison with other departments in matters that pertain to awards publications, events, and other cross-departmental activities.
- Conceive and execute the production of special publications and special reports.
- Gather, format and repurpose content for digital.
- Edit and proof copy for style, clarity, spelling, grammar, consistency, context and accuracy.
- As called upon, contribute to the writing of news items throughout the day for the Business Journal’s digital platforms.
- Assist Editors in managing awards publication production, including outreach to awardees.
- Write headlines, sub-heads, and cutlines, and other informational or graphics copy. As with all copy, the Business Journal’s goal is 100 percent accuracy.
- Regularly participate in and attend Business Journal sponsored events.
- Take on any other assignment made by manager(s).
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with all colleagues and professionally with sources.
Skills and experience
- Solid copyediting skills.
- Strong sense of organization
- Someone who can handle several projects at once.
- Collaborative skills a must.
- Familiarity with AP Style.
- Creative planning skills.
- Experience with management of editorial projects.
- Stickler for detail.
- Social media skills a must.
- Minimum of 1-2 years editing experience in print or online
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
The Houston Business Journal is part of American City Business Journals, a profitable, growing news and information company. We offer:
• Exceptional benefits, including health, dental, vision, mental health, wellness, paid maternity/paternity leave, an employee assistance program and several specific wellness programs to help employees achieve their health goals. The company pays 83% of coverage costs.
• Strong work-life balance. There's no question that we work hard every day for our audience of top-level business owners, executives and decision-makers. Then we go home, to our families and our lives outside of the office. We have generous vacation benefits, and we don't look at you funny when you decide to use them. In fact, employees are expected to take time off regularly. It's codified into company policy.
• Wide opportunities for growth. Our company is filled with people who've been with us 10, 20, 30 years, in positions of increasing responsibility. Growth opportunities aren't limited to those who are willing to pick up and move for a new challenge. You can grow right where you are, if that's how you want to do it. We offer weekly training on specific topics; training programs that prepare our journalists to take on bigger challenges and/or move up; a formal newsroom mentoring program; and funding for external training opportunities that bring new perspectives into our newsrooms.
American City Business Journals and its 45+ publications are the No. 1 source for local business news in the nation. We publish daily online, weekly in print and deliver multiple daily email products, as well as host monthly events attended by thousands of business executives. ACBJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable city, state or federal law.