|Date Posted||September 21, 2022|
Covering community news isn't just a job for you, it's a calling. From city council and the cop shop to main street businesses and the sideline of the high school football game, you believe telling people what they need to know about what's happening locally is the most important job in journalism. You work hard, move fast, follow effective routines and can spot the best stories from around town that need to be told.
If this describes you — we need you at Patch.
We are currently looking for a part-time local journalist in California, covering the city of Santa Cruz.
We are looking for a local journalist who can dig into the community and pitch/report 3 to 5 stories per week to be featured in our newsletters.
The ideal candidate will have a strong grasp of what's happening in Santa Cruz and be able to pitch a variety of possible stories each week for consideration.
Candidates for editorial positions at Patch move fast and have a great sense of humor. They are tenacious, quick, productive reporters and sharp storytellers. They also are:
- obsessed with telling readers what they need to know about their communities
- enthusiastic, competitive and innovative
- capable of turning a smart, accurate headline
- adept practitioners of social media and SEO
- tech-savvy and always eager to learn something new
- excellent news sense
- flexible, with the willingness and ability to shift assignments as needed
- good knowledge of Santa Cruz
- ability to write various types of news, including breaking, police, features and government
- ability to use social media and other curation tools to find news leads
- drive, with the desire to be first to the story