Durham, North Carolina
|Date Posted||September 20, 2022|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||$45,000 to $50,000|
THIS POSITION IS BASED IN THE RALEIGH-DURHAM AREA OF NORTH CAROLINA. ONLY APPLY IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA OR ARE PLANNING TO MOVE HERE. THANK YOU!
GrepBeat is a media organization covering all things tech for Raleigh-Durham and the surrounding area (aka the Triangle). Through our email newsletter, website, podcasts, and events, we support the region’s tech entrepreneurs in an engaging and colorful way. See https://grepbeat.com.
We are seeking a full-time Tech Reporter to be the primary writer of stories for grepbeat.com. The right candidate will also periodically write the newsletter solo and contribute to our social channels, podcasts, live events and everything else we do.
Here’s what you would do:
- Drive our editorial coverage by writing 4-8 stories per week, especially feature stories of early-stage tech startups and their founders; news stories on fundraisings, acquisitions, executive changes, etc.; trend stories on issues affecting the Triangle tech community; and much more
- Become immersed in the community we cover so that you can generate your own story ideas in addition to handling assigned topics
- Work quickly and efficiently on deadline, while still having the stylistic chops for more “writerly” features that have longer lead times
The ideal candidate has:
- Previous journalism writing experience at a professional publication as a full-time writer or summer intern. Undergrad experience at a daily campus news org is a plus
- More nice-to-haves: the ability to write “funny” (without resorting to cheap “scare quotes”), multimedia skills such as photo, video or podcast production
- Passion for all things tech, startups and the Triangle as well as the persistence, hustle, and energy to make things happen!
- This is a full-time position with salary and benefits commensurate with experience. This position could be especially appropriate for the right recent graduate, including 2022 grads
- This position operates primarily out of our world HQ in Downtown Durham, N.C.
- Curious? More questions? Just ask. Also, take a look at our site, social channels, and email newsletter. You can make it all better!
- Include a note describing why you are the perfect candidate. Please share or link to some writing samples here or at email@example.com
- Apply the sooner the better. Let’s get going!