Lehighvalleylive.com / Advance Local
|Date Posted||September 16, 2022|
Lehighvalleylive.com is looking for an experienced journalist to lead a breaking news team of reporters and help shape coverage of a dynamic community that’s rapidly growing.
This new position, which is part of an effort to expand resources in our newsroom, is a hybrid of reporting and editing. We expect the journalist in this role to work closely with developing reporters while also leading by example through producing exceptional content on their own.
It’s a great opportunity for a experienced reporter who wants to dabble in editing, but isn’t quite ready to put down the pen and notebook for good.
We are seeking a candidate who has a keen interest in covering historically underserved communities, thrives in collaborating with others on issue-oriented journalism and is comfortable reporting on everything from budgets to barn fires. The job also requires an ability to write in a compelling style that explains how complicated issues have a direct impact on Lehigh Valley residents.
As part of a team of reporters based out of Easton, Pennsylvania, the ideal candidate will understand the critical role of local journalism. Everyone here possesses that understanding, and we have the results to prove it. Lehighvalleylive.com was the 2021 recipient of the Toner Prize for Excellence in Local Political Reporting for Swing County, Swing State; a 2021 Online Journalism Award finalist for Blue to red in 30 miles; and the winner of the 2022 New Jersey Press Awards general excellence award for best media outlet in our circulation category. We’re expecting more later this year and into next year. Here are a few reasons why we’re so confident: Built to last, bought to bulldoze; They’re not criminals; and “...in life and in the ring.”
We’re committed to building a newsroom that reflects the diversity of the community we serve. In this position, you will be part of the NJ Advance Media newsroom, an inclusive team focused on local journalism for one of the country’s largest privately owned media companies.
For this position, we are looking for a candidate with:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or related field required
- A minimum of five years in journalism with a proven ability in reporting and writing required, preferably including some experience in producing major projects and editing.
- An ability to cultivate sources in government and business, but more importantly in communities that aren’t accustomed to media attention.
- Possession of a clear and engaging writing style
- A proven record of breaking news
- An ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- A sound understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Experience using social media to find stories and promote content
- A demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- A proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- An understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
- An ability to work collaboratively with editors and fellow reporters
- A willingness to keep abreast of industry advances and proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences
Lehighvalleylive.com was born in 2006 as part of an ongoing effort to pivot The Express-Times newsroom from a traditional print operation to a digital one. The newspaper, based in Easton, Pennsylvania, was founded in 1855 and continues publishing daily. It remains affiliated with lehighvalleylive.com. Both are part of NJ Advance Media. The Lehigh Valley is now the third-most populous region in Pennsylvania. Its proximity to New York City and Philadelphia has made it a commerce hub and has also attracted many commuters. It’s also home to one of the state’s largest and fastest-growing Latino communities. These trends have made for an intriguing landscape that’s rich in compelling stories.