|Date Posted||November 23, 2022|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
Hearst is a leading global, diversified media, information, and services company with more than 360 businesses. Across every division, Hearst employees are connected by shared values of innovation, storytelling, creativity, vision, social good and partnership. We invite you to discover more about our culture, company, and community.
Hearst major interests include ownership in cable television networks such as A&E, HISTORY, Lifetime and ESPN; global financial services leader Fitch Group; Hearst Health, a group of medical information and services businesses; transportation assets including CAMP Systems International, a major provider of software-as-a-service solutions for managing the maintenance of jets and helicopters; 31 television stations such as WCVB-TV in Boston and KCRA-TV in Sacramento, Calif., which reach a combined 19 percent of U.S. viewers; newspapers such as the Houston Chronicle, San Francisco Chronicle and Albany Times Union, more than 300 magazines around the world including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Men's Health and Car and Driver; digital services businesses such as iCrossing and KUBRA; and investments in emerging digital entertainment companies such as Complex Networks.
A a highly motivated Editor to join the newsroom that would be responsible for planning the contents of the publication, supervise the work of editorial department and oversee the publication production. This editor is a player/coach, in that they guide the newsroom while producing content of their own. This position also acts as the assistant editor for our Alton paper, backing up the Alton editor, with the Alton editor being backup for this position.
As an Editor for the Intelligencer Newspaper, you can expect the following
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
- Create digital and print content considering audience appeal.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Review and approve proofs submitted by reporters prior to publication production.
- Supervise and coordinate work of editorial department
- Plan the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Work with Audience Development team to create digital content based on audience data.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
- Confer with other departments and management regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
- Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Working with the Alton editor to further the success of both publications. Backing up the Alton editor when out for sickness or vacation, with the Alton editor being their backup.
Qualification and Skills
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the field
- At least two years management experience
- Knowledge both in maintaining and driving a digital-first thinking in the newsroom to being able to study and determine trends based on analytics.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Knowledge and use of AP Style.
- Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Motivate, develop and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job. Manage one's own time and the time of others. Using a computer application to lay out pages, type text, insert pictures, format, edit, print, save, and retrieve word processing documents.
- Requires meeting strict deadlines.
- Knowledge of content manager systems for both print and online.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical, including pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.