Journalism Journey Initiative Journalist
The E.W. Scripps Company
|Date Posted||September 12, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires, TV Jobs|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Are you ready to take your journalism career to new heights? Do you want to work for a company with a 140-year history of investigative journalism that is innovating new ways to tell great stories?
The E.W. Scripps Company is recruiting journalists for the Scripps Journalism Journey Initiative. We hire and transition print journalists into broadcast and video-driven storytelling.
Journalists chosen for the program are placed in positions in Scripps’ local or national newsrooms. The program provides experienced print journalists with extensive training, coaching and support to make the transition to video-driven storytelling.
Journalism Journey landing positions depend on candidate background and talents and may include the following:
TV Station roles (local or national reporting): Investigative Reporter/Producer/EP, Specialty/Beat Reporter, Editor/Manager, Digital Reporter, Data Journalist
Newsy roles (primarily beat or national): Managing Editor, Story Editor, Documentary Script Writer, Specialty Reporter, Digital Reporter, Assignment Editor.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- With training assume a position reporting to a Scripps local media or national newsroom.
- Participate in initial and then quarterly “in person” group training with other Journalism Journey employees that may include participation in journalism conferences, attending seminars, workshops, and custom Scripps content creator training.
- Utilize ongoing practice, feedback and coaching to advance your video-driven storytelling abilities.
- Participate in the editorial process at the assigned Scripps business unit. This could include producing individual news stories, newscasts, digital content, or preparing to supervise the work of others.
- Create excellent, audience-directed content for multi-media platforms and social media.
- Provide mentoring for peers and future members of the Journalism Journey Initiative.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A minimum of eight years of experience working as a print journalist or related position in a print journalism environment.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field preferred
- A successful track record of journalism. This could include beat writing, investigative journalism, specialty reporting or news leadership.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Ability to multi-task and manage ongoing projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and broad capacity to collaborate at all levels of the organization.
- Highly adaptable - Demonstrated openness and capacity to seek new opportunities and adopt new ways of doing things.
- Avid local or national news consumer: knows daily news, events, trends and happenings on a local or national level
- Strong vision and ability to advance stories
- Extraordinarily passionate about writing; courageous and creative storyteller with attention to even tiny details - choosing the perfect words, grammar, spelling
- Exceptional communication skills, oral and written.
- Working knowledge of journalistic ethics and libel laws and strong editorial judgement.
- Experience with multiplatform storytelling (writing, video, audio, digital) and data journalism preferred.
- Valid driver's license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
Weekend, holiday and overtime as the news cycle demands. Depending on landing role, may travel up to 30% as required.