|Date Posted||September 09, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||$20-$22/hour depending on experience.|
The Summit Daily News, located in the heart of the Colorado Rockies, is hiring a hybrid role of copy editor and general assignment reporter.
Here at the Summit Daily, we live to tell the story of Summit County, where outdoor enthusiasts come to ski, snowboard, mountain bike, backpack, trail run, rock climb, raft, kayak, sail, SUP, fish, hunt, camp — need we go on? We're looking for an adventurous spirit with a love for the outdoors and mountain towns. This afternoon/evening shift allows free time during the day to explore all that Summit County has to offer.
The right candidate will have excellent line editing abilities, strong news judgment and at least one year of experience reporting on a variety of topics. In this dual role, flexibility is a must. The position requires coordinating story interviews in between proofing pages and hitting deadlines on both fronts. We’re looking for someone who has a passion for quality.
Copy editing responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Edit stories for accuracy, clarity, completeness, objectivity, grammar, spelling, organization, readability and style.
• Write clear and informative headlines.
• Coordinate with reporters, editors and photographers to ensure consistency in style, tone and quality.
• Perform detail-oriented, quality work on deadline
• Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating with other employees and organizations.
Reporting responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Generate 4-6 stories per week.
• Work with community leaders/figures as well as other newsroom staff.
• Flexible in a changing, fast-paced environment.
• Ensure accuracy, fairness and correct spelling in all reporting and editing duties.
• Follow direction and vision of the Summit Daily News editor.
• Make assigned deadlines without exception.
• Be a team player and help where needed.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism is preferred.
• At least one year of newsroom, print or online publication copy editing or reporting experience.
• Sound news judgment.
• Keen eye for errors of style and substance.
• Strong knowledge of AP style.
• Ability to prioritize and take pride in the details.
• Able to work evenings and weekends.
• At least one year of Adobe Creative Cloud experience
Pay $20-$22/hour depending on experience. Competitive benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance after 60 days of employment, $500 recreation bonus after 6 months and 401k Plan after 1 year.
Swift Communications is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested? Apply at email@example.com