Copy Editor - Glenwood Springs Post Independent
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
|Date Posted||August 29, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Salary||$18 - $20/hour|
We are looking for a copy editor who will be responsible for editing stories and content for readability, clarity and accuracy. You will coordinate with the page design team to ensure accuracy of content and quality design. You organize the flow of the newspaper, page-by-page, to ensure ease of use and continuity. As a copy editor you will ensure deadlines are met by following an established workflow.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (what you do day to day)
- Proof and copy edit news stories from staff and freelance reporters. Edits for accuracy, clarity, completeness, objectivity, grammar and spelling, organization, readability and style.
- Proof stories for online publications. Post stories and media to websites and social media at direction of editors.
- Craft accurate, inviting and eye-catching headlines.
- Provide a budget to the page design team with the details to layout the paper.
- Edit and upload photographs to the Content Management System (CMS) and create cut lines.
- Select and edit content from sister publications, wire services and more.
- Review page design for accuracy and quality as outlined in workflow and established design styles.
- Assist the page design team in meeting deadlines.
- Communicate and collaborate with news editors to complete assigned sections.
- Ownership and accountability for the quality and completeness of assigned pages.
- Contribute ideas and feedback on all systems and workflow.
- Coordinate and communicate specialty layouts.
- Performs miscellaneous duties at the discretion of the Editor.
- Customer Service: Provide top-notch customer service. Understanding that our customer’s, internal and external (readers, advertisers, coworkers) are what we are here for.
- Great Results: Has a passion and a drive for great results. In other words...someone who isn’t looking for “good enough,” but strives for excellence.
- Company Success: Works for the team’s success, or knows that the key to success is helping to make those around them successful. Develops and enables co-workers.
- Listens to others: Listens and learns from all. We need to make sure there is a way for each person to have a voice in shaping our future.
- Inspires Greatness: Inspire greatness by recognizing greatness in others.
Experience / Qualifications:
- College degree in journalism or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in WordPress, Outlook, Zoom
- Prior newspaper editing experience
- Knowledge of AP standards and libel law
- Comprehension of English language, grammar, and punctuation
- Excellent listening, verbal, and written communication skills
- Strong computer knowledge/skills
- Ability work nights, weekends, and holidays as needed
Compensation: $18 - $20/hour depending on experience.
Competitive benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance after 60 days of employment, $500 Recreation Bonus after 6 months and 401k Plan after 1 year.
Interested? Apply at email@example.com