Government and Politics Reporter
|Date Posted||September 21, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
The Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal is seeking a full-time reporter to cover local government and politics and to be a part of our political team, which covers national, state and local issues.
We are looking for an energetic reporter who is hungry, has a wide variety of interests and is able to switch gears between reporting hard news, delving into complicated issues and turning around breaking news quickly and accurately.
This position will also work closely with our enterprise/special projects editor, state government reporter and one other local government reporter as part of a four-person political team covering issues vital to Mississippi and our local communities such as criminal justice, access to health care, infrastructure demands and economic development.
Tupelo and Lee County are the cultural and economic hubs of Northeast Mississippi — an area rich in history, economic development and political power — providing a wealth of issues and influence to cover.
Your typical duties will include:
- Covering city and county governments and the politics that drive them. This coverage should include regular beat reporting, breaking news, deep analysis and investigative pieces.
- Developing sources throughout the region and state that can provide valuable insight and background into the stories you cover.
- Explaining the impact of national and state issues on our local communities.
- Working with our political team and other reporters on coverage and special projects.
- Connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.).
- Working with editors to evaluate what’s working and what’s not, and developing ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Promoting a personal brand, the brands of colleagues, and that of the Daily Journal other Journal Inc. properties.
We offer the following benefits:
- Health insurance with optional dental and vision
- Paid vacation and sick days
- Relocation assistance package
Send resumes, clips and references to Executive Editor Sam R. Hall at [email@example.com]. No phone calls, please.
WHO WE ARE
Journal Inc. is the parent company of the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal and Mud & Magnolia Magazine in Tupelo, Mississippi; the Mississippi Business Journal in Jackson, Mississippi; and five weekly newspapers throughout Northeast Mississippi — Itawamba County Times, Monroe Journal, New Albany Gazette, Pontotoc Progress and Southern Sentinel.
The Daily Journal has been name the best large daily newspaper by the Mississippi Press Association for the past four consecutive years.
Our combined newsrooms represent one of the largest media organizations in the state. We are digitally focused while also maintaining strong print products. We seek to inform and entertain our readers, support our communities, hold leaders accountable to those they serve and work cooperatively to build stronger communities.
We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation or veteran status.