|Date Posted||September 22, 2022|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
We’re looking for an ambitious, versatile journalist to join the San Francisco Chronicle’s audience team as an audience editor focusing on our newsletter program. This person will be the primary writer for our Bay Briefing morning newsletter, which is one of our most highly engaged audiences. They will shape the voice and format of that newsletter and be charged with creating a relationship with our email readers. Digital storytelling skills and technical acumen are of the utmost importance in this role. We’re seeking a clear and sharp writer and a leader who can develop other products from the newsroom. We’re seeking a self-starter with high standards who can collaborate well, has excellent communication skills, is comfortable providing and taking feedback, and wants to help our readers understand the most important stories of the moment.
- This position is full-time.
- It will likely include a later morning start time.
- It will likely be a Sunday-to-Thursday schedule.
- Other weekend, evening and holiday work may be required as news warrants.
- Manage editorial planning and writing for the SFChronicle Bay Briefing newsletter, while helping to enhance its voice.
- Edit department-level newsletters for clarity and content.
- Work on engagement projects that aim to deepen our relationship with our readers on email and other platforms.
- Work with digital project managers, editors, and writers on innovative packages and new ways of informing readers.
- Work closely with online digital producers on workflow and content strategy.
- Review analytics to assess the performance of newsletters and turn insights into strategy.
- Build audience around individual newsletters and work with the marketing team to increase readership.
Who we’re looking for:
- At least 3 years newsroom experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree, journalism focus preferred
- A clear, sharp writer with experience in newsletters
- Experience with analytics tools such as Google Analytics, ChartBeat, etc.
- Understanding of media ethics
- Command of digital metrics
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment, be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodations on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About The San Francisco Chronicle and SFChronicle.com:
The San Francisco Chronicle is world-class journalism. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. The Chronicle, one of the largest news organizations in the West, has been named California’s best large newsroom for four of the past five years.
SFChronicle.com delivers the Bay Area’s best journalism. It is the Bay Area’s authoritative online news source, focused on San Francisco but inclusive of all California and Western news that reflects the unique Bay Area experience. The staff won ONA Online Journalism Awards for General Excellence in 2020 and for Breaking News coverage in 2019 and 2020.Join our team of world-class journalists!