University of Arizona School of Journalism
|Date Posted||August 05, 2022|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
This position coordinates the School of Journalism's outreach and fundraising activities for the benefit of all the school’s academic programs. The individual works with other School of Journalism staff members on the planning and execution of large events and developing relationships with alumni, donors, recruiters, editors, and news directors. The individual also produces communication materials, web-based content, social media and marketing strategies and postings, and the school's magazine(s) and newsletters. Additionally, the Outreach Coordinator coordinates outreach to high schools, community colleges, and individuals interested in applying to the school of journalism. Coordinates with SBS College’s recruiting planning to facilitate graduate and undergraduate recruitment for all the School of Journalism’s programs. This position reports to the Director of the School of Journalism.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
Duties and Responsibilities:
Communications and Marketing
- Develops marketing strategies and produces promotional materials, such as brochures and social media videos that promote the School of Journalism and all its programs
- Maintains and updates the School of Journalism website, including web materials for all School of Journalism programs
- Maintains and updates coverage of School of Journalism activities on school social media platforms for all School of Journalism programs
- Strategizes use of all of the SoJ social media platforms to ensure consistency and continuity
- Writes press releases, provides information, sends story ideas to UA News, SBS Developments magazine
- Works with program leads and directors on ongoing projects
- Serves as communications liaison with the SBS Community Engagement Team
- Works on the reporting, writing, editing and production of the annual "Cursor" magazine for alumni, students, parents, and other constituents each year
- Coordinates with other SoJ staff members on school events and activities as needed
- Works on the reporting, writing, editing and production of "Kudos" weekly newsletter
- Participates in department committees and faculty meetings
- Other outreach activities as instructed by the School’s Director or designated staff
Community, Industry, and Parent Outreach
- Develops and maintains relationships with recruiters, editors, and news directors at national, state, and local media organizations
- Prepares funding proposals for sponsors
- Coordinates promotional materials with community partners
- Coordinates Journalism Advisory Council meetings
- Coordinates parent outreach with other staff members as required
- Interacts and maintains liaison with students, faculty, staff and outside/community agencies in facilitating program objectives. This includes giving school tours and communicating with supporters.
Alumni and Donor Outreach
- Produces School of Journalism newsletters for distribution to alumni and other supporters of the School of Journalism
- Collects and tracks donations through UA Foundation
- Produces annual reports
- Ensure that all donors receive prompt thank-you letters for their contributions.
- Identifies potential donors among the alumni
- Coordinates webinars and forums of interest to alumni and donors
- Coordinates crowd-funding campaigns through the UA Foundation
- Develops and facilitates workshops, meetings or conferences with high impact on program and/or participants; coordinates logistics, scheduling and participant communications. This includes coordinating the annual Zenger dinner, Tucson Festival of Books booth, Meet Your Major, and other functions
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of journalism and journalism education
- Ability to effectively communicate, including through writing and visually for print and online
- Ability to develop social media campaigns and strategies
- Adept in video, photography, and web page design
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Marketing, Communication, or similar field
- Professional journalism experience in the news industry
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
All applicants should apply with a resume and cover letter. Any questions about the position should be sent to email@example.com.