|Date Posted||July 28, 2022|
Reports to: Executive editor, life sciences
CMF Level: Editor (advanced to senior professional)
Overview of C&EN:
C&EN (Chemical & Engineering News) produces authoritative, award-winning journalism from around the world of chemistry, including research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. It is published by but editorially independent of the American Chemical Society (ACS), the world’s largest scientific society dedicated to a single discipline. C&EN is widely considered one of the major benefits of ACS membership. Its weekly magazine reaches more than 150,000 members of ACS, and its website receives more than 13 million page views per year.
We are seeking a reporter and writer who will keep C&EN readers informed about biochemistry, chemical biology, analytical chemistry, and instrumentation.
What you’ll do:
- Write breaking news and feature stories for C&EN’s website and weekly print magazine, with opportunities to work on podcast and video.
- Identify potential news and features with coverage including developments in proteomics and other “-omics”, mass spectrometry and other analytical instrumentation, biological sensing, and emerging concepts in molecular biology and biochemistry.
- Conduct interviews and gather information that leads to accurate and balanced stories.
- Construct sophisticated and complex stories that conform to C&EN style and meet deadlines. Work with C&EN’s creative team to create graphics and infographics that engage and inform audiences.
- Work with C&EN’s audience team to find the widest possible audience for your journalism. Share your work and interact with our audience on social media.
- Cover key academic meetings and industry events.
What you’ll bring:
- Experience working as a science journalist—a minimum of 3 years of professional experience is required to apply for the advanced-level position; 5-7 years is required for the senior level.
- A degree in chemistry or a related area of science is required; knowledge of biological chemistry and instrumentation is a plus.
- Strong news judgment, good writing and editing skills, and good oral communication skills.
- Proven skill reporting and writing news and features.
- Track record of writing engaging stories on complex topics for a scientifically sophisticated audience.
- Proven skill with social media, including developing a social media profile of your own to engage audiences and report stories.
About working at C&EN:
ACS believes in the strength of diversity in all its forms, because inclusion of and respect for diverse people, experiences, and ideas lead to superior solutions to world challenges and advance chemistry as a global, multidisciplinary science. In turn, C&EN believes that to meet its mission to be the world’s go-to source of news about chemistry, our reporting and our newsroom must include diverse perspectives. Therefore, we strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and members of other historically marginalized communities in the chemical sciences to apply.
How to apply:
Along with a résumé, applicants must submit three samples of their published work. Tell us in a cover letter what you can bring to this position. Send all materials to email@example.com after submitting your résumé below.
This position will be primarily based in the D.C. office unless otherwise agreed upon. ACS offers hybrid work arrangement of three days per week working in the office and two days per week working remotely. New employees are immediately eligible for this hybrid work arrangement. ACS offers relocation assistance, if applicable.