Social Media Editor
Austin (or remote), Texas
|Date Posted||July 21, 2022|
|Industry||Magazines / Publishing|
Texas Monthly is seeking an experienced and passionate social media editor to join our editorial department’s recently revamped digital team on their journey to meeting ambitious digital growth goals aimed at expanding the magazine’s loyal readership. This position will oversee the promotion of Texas Monthly stories on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and will explore a presence on upcoming platforms as needed.
Hiring for this position comes at a time of refocused digital growth at TM. An ideal candidate will possess an established know-how of social best practices, but will approach the position with an open-minded willingness to experiment and branch out in an attempt to attract new followers and readers alike.
This role reports to the senior engagement editor. This is a full-time position with generous benefits, including a comprehensive health-insurance plan, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, and the opportunity for annual bonuses. Compensation is competitive and negotiable. While preference will be given to candidates who are based in, or willing to relocate to, Austin, remote candidates who are based elsewhere in Texas or who are located outside the state but have strong Texas knowledge and ties will be considered.
Job responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Write and craft engaging and informative social media posts for various platforms to promote Texas Monthly stories.
- Work with engagement editor and digital team in plotting enterprise story promotion and long-term social strategy aimed at meeting digital growth goals.
- Experiment with engagement tactics in an effort to foster a curious and participatory relationship with readers, including polls, call-outs, Q&As and venues for real-time reader correspondence, such as Instagram and Facebook Live, Twitter Spaces, Reddit AMAs, and more.
- Collaborate with digital and visual teams in recrafting Instagram presence to best align with platform’s news boom.
- Keep a close eye on analytics regarding post, story, and site performance based on data provided by Texas Monthly’s data analyst and audience team.
- Grow platform followings through analytics-informed and responsive posting habits, as well as thoughtful reshares.
- Monitor and, when valuable, respond to post comments and questions, always with the goal of transparently communicating TM’s journalistic integrity and informing readers.
- Work closely with staff writers and editors in ensuring social copy and platforms creatively reflect and promote reporting and authors alike.
- Keep up-to-date on platforms’ best practices and beta opportunities, while maintaining publication’s relationship with various platform representatives.
- Occasionally pitch and write quick-turn stories for Texas Monthly’s digital audience intended to bring a TM presence to viral or high-interest topics.
- Occasionally offer backfill support to newsletter editor.
- Work with marketing and advertising departments to ensure promotional posts reflect TM‘s journalistic standard.
- Bring a creative and innovative outlook and a willingness to try new things to a digital team revitalizing its established engagement strategy.
- Excellent writing skills with strong attention to detail
- Experience using relevant social media platforms in a journalistic setting
- Experience using Google Analytics, Parsely, or other analytics platforms
If you are a qualified candidate, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line. Applications for this position should be submitted by August 21 and may be reviewed on a rolling basis until that date. Promising applicants will be selected for an initial screening interview; candidates who move forward in the hiring process from there will be asked to complete a skills test. Finalists will then have an interview with the editor-in-chief and other major stakeholders.
Texas Monthly is committed to diversity and cultivating an inclusive environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.