Washington, D.C., District of Columbia
|Date Posted||July 08, 2022|
|Industry||Magazines / Publishing|
The Nation, America’s leading progressive print and online journal, seeks a Washington bureau chief. We take pride in our progressive values and excellent benefits, and we strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+, and/or gender nonconforming to apply.
This post—which in the past has been held by I.F. Stone and Chris Hayes, and more recently by Aida Chavez and Ken Klippenstein—is the only staff writing position at The Nation. It is a one-person bureau where you would assign your own stories and report on whatever you and your editor think is most important or interesting.
We’re looking for a talented writer and resourceful investigative reporter, an ambitious self-starter eager to break news and make a reputation. You will work with a dedicated senior editor and be expected to file approximately two short pieces every week plus a few longer reported print features a year. The position will also come with a small assigning budget, allowing you to develop and cultivate promising writers should you wish to do so.
Your output can include wider-lens analysis or strongly argued takes when appropriate but will primarily be reported pieces drawn from research in documents and public records, interviews with sources, and attendance at public and press events. The successful candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced news environment and familiarity with The Nation and its coverage. The successful candidate should also:
- Be able to write quickly on a wide variety of topics, with a knowledge of fundamental issues and policy, not just political dynamics or horse-race coverage
- Have existing sources in Washington, particularly among progressive elected officials and appointees as well as among activists and political organizers outside of government.
- Have a strong sense of national political and social movements that impact politics and policy in DC
- Be able to write timely web pieces as well as long-form magazine stories
- Be able to produce articles that are not limited by partisan bias, but that have moral clarity and a clear progressive perspective
- Be willing to take an adversarial stance toward ostensible allies when they hold positions of power in the White House, Congress, or otherwise
- Be conversant with social media
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. The salary minimum is $70,386.83.
E-mail your cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com. No phone calls or postal mail, please.
The Nation offers competitive salary and excellent benefits, including generous health care, parental leave, and vacation. The Nation Co. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws. This position is covered by the collective-bargaining agreement between The Nation and The NewsGuild CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO.