News Staff Writer
|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Tulsa World is looking for a reporter to work in the news department and focus on daily general assignments and enterprise reporting for investigations and special reports. This position will report to the city editor. Duties include writing stories with daily deadlines, news features and profiles, assisting on breaking news stories and completing in-depth enterprise work on a regular basis. This staff writer will also appear in videos and podcasts published by the Tulsa World. This position will create content for tulsaworld.com, the Tulsa World print edition and Tulsa World Magazine.
The following are the duties and expectations for staff writers at the Tulsa World in its mission to inform and inspire its community with important and relevant journalism.
- Work to be in the right position to produce exclusive, emotionally appealing and accurate stories.
- Do the reporting and take the time necessary to give our community a unique perspective on a story.
- Share stories, photos and links to galleries on professional social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter on every major assignment to promote your work and the Tulsa World.
- Develop and maintain professional judgment in the process reporting and writing.
- Represent the Tulsa World in a professional and courteous manner, and always project a professional image in the community.
- Effectively complete assignments from editors by the required deadline.
- Work with photographers to best tell the story.
- File stories early from breaking news assignments so they can quickly appear on tulsaworld.com.
- Pitch story ideas on a regular basis to editors.
- Establish contacts in the community for stories you are working on and what could be future stories.
- Write all stories so they are accurate and detailed with proper spellings that follow AP & Tulsa World style.
- Keep up with changes in technology and style.
- Maintain and engage with those who interact with your work on social media.
- Read the Tulsa World and other news sources to stay in the know on stories, trends and opportunities for future stories.