|Date Posted||June 21, 2022|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Syracuse.com and The Post-Standard are looking for a reporter to join our watchdog/public affairs team.
It’s a dream job for a journalist who has curiosity and an edge: statewide corruption, entrenched poverty, antagonistic cops, high taxes, and a town full of optimistic people bringing change.
We want someone who can produce coverage with impact: building sources, digging into data, solving problems, finding fault, and advocating for people who need help.
You’ll find support in this newsroom that is expanding its audience and reach, learning new approaches and driving the discussion in this area. Our skilled newsroom has won national awards and dominated the state AP awards for years.
This isn’t an entry-level job. To be considered, you’ll have to demonstrate that you’ve delivered difficult watchdog work somewhere. If that’s you, come help us rattle some cages.
Qualified candidates should have:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or related field.
- The ability to work quickly, but with accuracy and good news judgment.
- Watchdog or investigative journalism experience.
- Ability to develop and cultivate sources.
- Good understanding of using social media for research and to engage readers.
- Digital storytelling skills and open mind to trying new approaches.
- Relentless curiosity and a good sense of humor.
Include samples of your best work or links to your stories.
About the company:
Advance Media New York is a digitally focused news and information company serving Upstate New York and its flagship brands are:
* Syracuse.com, the leading website in Central New York
* The Post-Standard newspaper, which has served the Syracuse community since 1829
* NYup.com, the premier site for and about Upstate New York
AMNY is an affiliate of Advance Local, which offers competitive pay, bonuses, and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave, as well as options for your healthcare.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.