The Capital Times
|Date Posted||June 20, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires, Digital Media|
Editor | The Capital Times
The Capital Times, an independent, 105-year-old news organization noted for aggressive journalism and progressive opinion, seeks a top editor who will shepherd and sharpen our journalism, a transformational leader who can drive watchdog and enterprise journalism and be a hands-on coach and mentor for a 15-person news staff. Our home is Madison, Wis., a major university town, state capital and technology hub. A distinctive and livable city, it is renowned for its intellectual vibrancy, eclectic culture, natural and architectural beauty and its lakes.
The ideal candidate will:
- With the publisher, set the strategic vision and newsroom direction across digital and print platforms, refining and defining the scope of what we cover and how.
- Mentor the newsroom team and direct resources as necessary.
- Communicate a vision for high-impact journalism.
- Demonstrate a deep commitment to the highest standards of journalistic ethics.
- Evolve and enforce newsroom policies, procedures, workflows and deadlines.
- Cultivate relationships in the community.
Preferred skills and experience
- Extensive experience as a journalist, preferably with a record of accomplishment as an assigning editor.
- Experience in managing and agenda setting within a news organization.
- Degree in journalism or relevant field.
About The Capital Times
The Capital Times, which is locally owned and operated, is business partners with the Wisconsin State Journal and Lee Enterprises. Editorial operations are entirely separate. We emphasize enterprise and accountability journalism. While we publish a tabloid on Wednesdays, we prioritize digital journalism. We are proud of our bold opinion voice, which operates separately.
Why join us?
We are, foremost, an organization with a long and proud history of aggressive local journalism. We offer an extensive benefit program that includes medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, company-provided life insurance and supplemental life insurance. In addition, we offer a 401K retirement plan with company match. We also offer generous paid time off. This includes paid parental leave for new parents. Our philanthropic arm, the Evjue Foundation, offers a generous scholarship program to Wisconsin’s public universities for children of employees. The Capital Times is an equal opportunity employer. We respect and celebrate diversity and are committed to an inclusive environment.
What is the process?
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your skills and background are suited to a role that combines visionary leadership with hands-on execution to Publisher Paul Fanlund at email@example.com. The deadline to apply is July 17, 2022.
Equal Opportunity Employer