Editor-in-Chief, Life Sciences & Healthcare
Remote, All Locations
|Date Posted||June 29, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires, Digital Media|
Fierce is hiring an editor-in-chief to lead our healthcare and life sciences news group. This is great opportunity for an established leader to help inspire a growing and ambitious team of writers and editors.
Fierce is home to Fierce Biotech, Fierce Pharma and Fierce Healthcare. Our product suite includes three websites, email newsletters, podcasts and webinars, as well as virtual and live events. We have more than 300,000 opt-in newsletter subscribers and average more than six million pageviews per month.
The editor-in-chief serves as the face of the Fierce publications and sets the tone of our coverage. The editor-in-chief will shepherd key projects, lead the strategy for the entire editorial team and directly supervise a group of senior editors and the managing editor. This position reports to the publisher.
- Outline and oversee the overall strategy and direction for our team of 25-plus journalists.
- Manage and supervise a team of six senior editors and a managing editor covering biotech, pharma, pharma marketing, healthcare, health payers, and medtech.
- Actively monitor web traffic trends and analyze opener data to understand the Fierce audience and ensure editorial performance.
- Brainstorm and bring to life new content that will intrigue, delight and inform our audience .
- Recruit job candidates to develop a pipeline of new journalists for our expanding team.
- Work with the managing editor to manage a calendar of regular enterprise projects, profiles and other non-daily features, including podcasts and other new multimedia elements.
- Oversee the editorial team’s work on virtual events, including content development and speaker recruiting.
- Edit daily and long-form copy as needed, with particular attention to special reports, features, headlines, subject lines and newsletter layouts.
- Ability to lead and inspire fellow journalists toward common goals
- Passion for accuracy and quality, with a desire to experiment with new features and content types
- Ability to organize and manage short- and long-term projects
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Desire to help coach our team of early-career and experienced writers and editors.
- At least 8 years of journalism experience, including management experience. Expertise in business, healthcare or science journalism a must
- Most of all, a “Fierce” work ethic and desire to collaborate with a committed and ambitious team
Come join our talented group of writers and editors who enjoy our work—and working together. We believe we’re fielding the best team we’ve ever had, and we want you to be a part of it.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter and five published clips, including features and deadline news to Rebecca Willumson at firstname.lastname@example.org.