|Date Posted||June 16, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
This is the lead position in the two-person newsroom and is responsible for providing high-quality journalism on the daily devilslakejournal.com as well as the three-days-a-week printed Devils Lake Journal newspaper.
You will be expected to report, write and take your own photos with your stories, rewrite and edit press releases and to lay out and design some news pages. You will also write a weekly opinion column, set deadlines and overall manage the news organization.
Devils Lake is a community of about 7,000 residents with the Spirit Lake Nation of almost as many residents within seven miles. The people of DL and what we call the Lake Region love their hometown sports.
We also have a bustling local business community, centered an agriculture and around anything you can do on a lake. We publish three days a week: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays but five days a week on our website and social media.
The closest metropolitan cities to Devils Lake are Fargo, ND and Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada – each about three hours away.
- Oversee the Devils Lake Journal online and print journalism and ensure it serves reader needs and meets high standards.
- Leverage reader data, insights, and team core competencies to execute high-quality journalism with impact.
- Seek partners within the geographic coverage area as well as nationally to support ground-breaking journalism.
- Coordinate coverage with other Gannett newspapers in the Dakotas and across the USA Today Network.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- More than three years of editing/media management experience.
- Strong line-editing skills.
- Strong people-management skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- A facility for public speaking and promoting the Devils Lake Journal, its journalism and journalists to the wider community.
- The ability to lead in person and remotely.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, both internally and externally.
- Success in deadline-driven environments.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Social-media knowledge.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Strong grasp of journalism skills (reporting and editing) and advanced knowledge of writing, spelling, grammar, AP style.
- The ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Creativity and out-of-the-box thinking.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to six online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve written, produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.