|Date Posted||June 14, 2022|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Diocese of Charlotte
Oversee content development and editorial direction for the award-winning Catholic News Herald (print and digital)
The Diocese of Charlotte seeks a passionate, curious and innovative veteran journalist to become the next editor of the Catholic News Herald and catholicnewsherald.com, our growing and award-winning news outlets. Home to 500,000 Catholics and growing, the Diocese of Charlotte encompasses the dynamic urban centers of Charlotte, Greensboro and Asheville, N.C., as well as the picturesque mountains and foothills of western North Carolina – a total of 92 parishes, 20 schools and more than 50 ministries. The Editor will oversee content development and editorial direction for the Catholic News Herald’s print (60,000 circ.) and digital channels (website, social media, email and video) in alignment with the diocese’s overall communication and evangelization mission. At least 3-5 years of experience as an editor, plus a bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism or related field. Must be a Catholic and familiar with Church teaching. Read the full job description here.
Email your résumé and cover letter to: email@example.com
(No phone calls, please.)
Deadline to apply: Monday, July 11
The Diocese of Charlotte is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes salary commensurate with experience, health and dental insurance, 403(b) and paid holidays.
POSITION TITLE: Editor
DEPARTMENT: Catholic News Herald
REPORTS TO: Assistant Communications Director
POSITION SUMMARY: The Editor oversees editorial production of the Catholic News Herald and catholicnewsherald.com, the official news outlets of the Diocese of Charlotte. This position is responsible for assigning, creating or curating, and editing content for the Catholic News Herald’s print, online and social media channels – with the aim to inform, inspire and educate the people of the Diocese of Charlotte in alignment with the overall communication and evangelization mission of the diocese.
- Assign, create or curate, review and edit content for the Catholic News Herald’s print, online and social media channels, with content that communicates the bishop’s priorities and messages to the faithful of the diocese, as well as covers news of general interest about diocesan ministries, parishes, schools and agencies
- Ensure that all content is in accord with the teachings of the Catholic Church and the communication goals of the bishop
- Assign and monitor content producers’ work for the Catholic News Herald
- Edit all Catholic News Herald content for grammar, style, accuracy and appropriateness
- Build and maintain positive relationships with key diocesan constituencies including clergy, principals, department heads and ministry leaders
- Strive to capture on all content channels the diversity of the diocese, its parishes and faith communities, and its people
- In collaboration with the digital content specialist, curate national and international content relevant to diocesan print, online and social media audiences
- Recruit and develop freelance contributors and columnists, and review or edit their work for publication
- In collaboration with the assistant communications director, supervise production of the Diocesan Annual Financial Report and other major communication items for diocesan ministries
- In collaboration with the communications leadership, manage and produce other communications tasks such as managing media, internal communications, intranet content, etc.
- Other related duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
At least 3-5 years of experience as an editor, plus a bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism or related field. Must be a Catholic in good standing who is familiar with Church teaching. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud (including Adobe InCopy) and MS Office software, as well as CMS (such as Joomla and WordPress). Familiarity with using social media (as a professional) and digital media best practices. Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills; ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines without compromising quality or accuracy; experience in implementing new content initiatives; and demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively to accomplish common objectives. Other key qualifications include creativity, enthusiasm, attention to detail, and exemplary organizational and interpersonal skills.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Diocesan Pastoral Center. Some travel to assignments and meetings. Some evening, weekend and holiday work required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment.
Effective: July 1, 2022
Apply for this Job
Send your resume to this employer.