MVP Senior Writer and Content Strategist
Movement Voter Project
Remote, United States
|Date Posted||June 06, 2022|
|Salary||$90,000 - $100,000|
MVP is a best-in-class advising platform connecting progressive donors to the most effective and promising grassroots organizations in the country working at the intersection of movements, community organizing, and elections. We aim to increase investment in frontline organizations led by the most impacted communities to increase turnout among the progressive base, build long-term political power, and ultimately transform our country at the local, state, and national levels. MVP has successfully helped tens of thousands of donors to move tens of millions of dollars to hundreds of local organizations across the country, focused on the most critical states.
We are organizers, and the heart of our work is organizing donors through MVP to support local groups in order to build, sustain, and amplify their impact. We work in service of local grassroots groups, and we try to be aware at all times of the power dynamics of being a funder and to be careful about incentivizing actions that could alter an organization’s own priorities. We work hard not to impose on our partners. We are also striving to continuously scrutinize and dismantle the ways we manifest and reproduce white supremacy culture both internally and externally.
We focus on building from our assets and taking a positive approach to growth and change that helps groups and donors to feel comfortable being vulnerable about their areas of improvement. We believe in a non-competitive, non-divisive, whole ecosystem approach; we are always seeking opportunities to support and encourage collaboration among groups and donors.
As MVP’s Senior Writer + Content Strategist, you will serve as a sophisticated in-house journalist focused at the intersection of movements, politics and grassroots organizing. Your beat is local social justice and political organizing. Your job is seeking out fascinating and important stories from grassroots change-makers on the ground, producing written content, and helping develop story packages for broadcast across multiple channels, and writing or pitching stories to earned media outlets. You will report to the Communications Director and work closely with the Communications, Programs, and Donor teams. Big picture: There is a lack of good reporting on grassroots political organizing. This role will grow MVP as a trusted outlet for progressive donors and the general public to broadcast stories and analyses from the frontlines of local movements, organizing, and politics.
As Senior Writer + Content Strategist, you will be responsible for:
- Taking a lead role on all written content and story research, including news stories, analysis and public communications, state and issue-based plans and presentations, donor education materials, and more
- Working with Communications and Programs teams to develop and curate a robust, easily searchable, story database and image library
- Serving as a liaison to the Programs Team and working very closely with the Deputy Director of Program Advising to identify story leads and connect with staff of grassroots partner organizations to tell great stories
- Working closely with the Communications Director, Communications Manager, and Graphic + UX Designer to produce story packages for use across multiple channels, and to curate and edit content as needed
- Helping craft and pitch stories to earned media outlets
Other duties: We’re a growing organization, and responsibilities will evolve with the role and as opportunities emerge.
- Exceptionally strong writing and research skills
- Extensive (10+ years) journalism and/or creative nonfiction writing background
- Experience developing multimedia content
- Passion for grassroots progressive political change and shifting power to marginalized communities
- Comfort with technology, database, and project management systems
- Skill and comfort working in diverse teams, along with cultural humility and the ability to build relationships across lines of difference
- Demonstrated ability to engage at a high level with issues of racial equity and inclusion
- Experience developing video content
- Comfort with visual storytelling and developing digital content
- Familiarity with progressive politics, movements, and grassroots organizing
- Passion for teaching the craft of writing, reporting, and storytelling to organizers
- Strong channels to get work published and networks in digital and traditional media
We realize that some great candidates may not have every single thing on this list — that’s OK! If this job posting piques your interest, we encourage you to apply!
Location: Fully remote, with the expectation of occasional travel post-pandemic (i.e. 2-5 times annually). We strive to create a family-friendly work environment and can make accommodations for team members with limited ability to travel.
Compensation and hours: This is a full-time, salaried position with a base salary range of $90K – $110k, commensurate with skills and experience, with generous benefits including employer-paid medical and optional dental and vision insurance, basic life insurance, 401(k), regular work-from-home and wellness stipends, and four weeks of paid vacation.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled — sooner is better.
Movement Voter Project isn’t just an equal opportunity employer. We are actively seeking to build a diverse and inclusive team with a wide range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills to support the incredible diversity of grassroots organizing across the country. MVP does not discriminate based upon race/ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a veteran, formerly incarcerated or convicted persons, status as an individual with a disability, or any other characteristic.