Council for Advancement and Support of Education
Washington, District of Columbia
|Date Posted||June 02, 2022|
|Industry||Magazines / Publishing|
|Required Education||Associate's Degree|
This position will provide editorial and administrative support for print and online publications, content, products, and processes of the Content Strategy (CS) team, within the Membership, Marketing and Communications division. In this role, you will assist in the administration and coordination of editorial workflows for CASE newsletters, Currents magazine, and digital media platforms, as well as provide general project management and administrative support to the CASE content strategy team.
The core functions of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides editorial assistance including writing, reviewing, and editing articles and content for publication in print and online.
- Monitors and vets content submissions and adds (as appropriate) to the content bank.
- Perform initial copyediting of accepted manuscripts following AP and organizational style and grammatical principles.
- Assists in monitoring and organizing content bank and other pieces of the content workflow system, as assigned.
- Assists in creating issue schedule/lineups for Currents and other regular publications.
- Contributes content to CASE social media accounts (Twitter, LinkedIn, blog), as well as short pieces in Currents magazine departments and CASE newsletters, with the potential to write longer form, feature articles based on background and interest.
- Stays abreast of news and trends in advancement, higher education, and relevant sectors.
- Responds to phone and email queries from authors, reviewers, and/or the public regarding general content information, manuscript status, etc.
- Assists in coordination of day-to-day operations and logistics for project-oriented activities such as convenings, face-to-face or remote meetings, workshops, and training events.
- Participate in staff meetings and working groups as assigned.
- Maintain and manage relevant event lists, timelines, and files.
- Other duties as assigned
Fiscal Management/Budget Responsibilities/Judicious Use of Resources
- Exercises fiscal responsibility in the utilization of all CASE resources.
- Works cooperatively and diplomatically with all divisions and regions.
- Liaises with CASE colleagues in other parts of the world to ensure the best sharing of ideas, expertise, and knowledge.
- Incorporates tasks and/or projects related to objectives as directed by the CASE Strategic Plan.
- In keeping with the CASE Values Statement, ensures that CASE is well represented by exercising a high degree of professionalism, accuracy, and ethics, in all activities, services, and products.
Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Supervisor.
Education and Experience:
- An interest in and an understanding of educational advancement across the regions in which CASE works.
- Associates degree required. Bachelor's degree, preferably in Journalism, English, communications, or related field.
- Minimum 2-3 years of editorial experience is required.
- Previous technical proofreading or copyediting experience is a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- A demonstrated interest in advancing education to transform lives and society.
- A strong commitment to contributing to an organizational culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
- An understanding and interest in engaging with a broad range of cultures and countries.
- Must have technical proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with publishing tools like Drupal, Informz, and Sprout Social.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent critical and strategic thinking skills.
- Proficiency in editing and proofreading, with exceptional attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Associated Press style guide a plus.
- Working knowledge of social media platforms, specifically Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook
- Time oriented; ability to meet deadlines consistently.
- Strong organization and administrative skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- A pro-active and can-do attitude, even when working under pressure and with all levels of staff.
- Exceptional planning and project management skills.
Alternative Work Arrangement: As of January 1, 2022, CASE implemented an Alternative Work Arrangement policy where, after 4 weeks of employment, eligible staff are given the opportunity to work from home up to 2 days per week and in office at least 3 days per week.