||May 04, 2022
The Renew Democracy Initiative (RDI) is dedicated to pulling American democracy back from the brink and restoring its place as a beacon for global freedom. Founded by a diverse, cross-partisan group of leaders, including former world chess champion Garry Kasparov, Senators Heidi Heitkamp and Bob Kerrey, and Pulitzer Prize winners Anne Applebaum and Bret Stephens, we are committed to combating the threats of far-right and far-left radicalism. With autocratic movements growing in strength around the globe, we must make a stand in defense of liberal democracy in the US. American leadership is paramount to guiding the free world through its current political, economic, and health crises.
The Writer & Editor will spearhead creating RDI’s public-facing work, which will include writing & ghost-writing opinion pieces, video scripts, and other educational materials to support RDI’s mission. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in American politics and global affairs, experience in opinion writing, and a willingness to be a voice in our national discourse. The Writer & Editor will also support other RDI efforts in fundraising, event planning, and social media as needed.
- Writing opinion articles, video scripts, educational materials, designing events, and planning social media campaigns
- Helping to produce RDI’s “Winter is Here” podcast by identifying potential guests for the show, coordinating bookings, and doing research to create interview outlines
- Drafting talking points for media appearances by RDI team members
- Collaborating with other team members to develop educational content and pursue outside partnerships with other pro-democracy organizations
- Developing original content ideas and creating plans of action to execute on them
- Training and co-managing a team of up to six interns
- Contributing to project management and ensuring that RDI priorities are effectively executed in a timely manner
Qualifications of an Ideal Candidate
- Commitment to RDI’s mission, work and values
- 4 or more years of experience in writing or editing with strong published pieces under your belt
- Broad political & international knowledge and a strong interest in promoting liberal democracy & civics education
- Works well with minimal supervision in a start-up environment
- Discretion when working on sensitive material with high-profile individuals and public figures
- Open-minded and interested in learning from those with whom you may disagree
- Strong interpersonal & team-building skills, with a focus on effective communication
Logistics & Benefits
- We offer a competitive salary, generous benefits, flexible hours, paid time off, and unique opportunities for ongoing professional development
- Ability to work remotely but NYC or DC preferred
- U.S. work authorization required
- Willingness to work outside 9-5 and sometimes on weekends
How To Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and short writing sample, ideally of a published opinion piece, to email@example.com. The writing sample should ideally be related to politics or history. In the subject line, please write “Writer & Editor Application” followed by your full name.
The Renew Democracy Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2022