This position provides assistance to staff in the Communications Department with editing and publishing CTA digital content, periodicals, special print materials, and multimedia and press relations projects. Incumbent must exercise a high level of independent judgment and initiative with minimum direct supervision. This position does not have a telecommute option.
Duties and Responsibilities
May perform any combination of the tasks listed below:
- Proofreads for accuracy and style and helps edit copy for various CTA publications, especially the California Educator.
- Establishes and maintains files and databases on magazine articles, photos, budget expenditures, and other publications.
- Uses traditional and online research avenues to locate information for articles and to check facts in articles as necessary for CTA publications.
- Posts and updates digital content and supports website upkeep.
- Keeps track and assists the magazine editor with publication finances.
- Answers telephone calls and routes them to appropriate department or other CTA staff.
- Responds to calls from the media, the public and members, including providing relevant information as appropriate.
- Handles inquiries, correspondence, purchase orders, bills from/for magazine contributors; maintains paid subscribers list.
- Plans, coordinates and follows through on complex logistical projects.
- Operates generally used office equipment.
- Performs logistical functions as assigned for conferences and meetings coordinated by the department.
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned.
Functions Unique to This Position
- Assists with the CTA website and in routing Webmaster e-mail.
- Assists in preparing digital and print materials for various local, regional and state communications training.
Qualifications - Minimum Required
- Associate degree and one (1) year of relevant experience or High School diploma/GED and four (4) years of relevant experience.
- Ability to write from the Association perspective and for multiple audiences.
- Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing with CTA Leaders, members and staff.
- Ability to copyedit and proofread copy for grammar, punctuation, spelling and style.
- Ability to write, edit, and prepare content for digital and print publication.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and the ability to learn and use the Association’s software programs (Adobe and Canva knowledge preferred).
- Ability to use design and editing software programs such as Adobe Creative Suite specifically InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop, Acrobat PRO, as well as being familiar with WordPress and Canva.
- Ability to initiate work, follow through on assignments, and handle publication projects with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prepare expenditure and revenue reports.
- Ability to work under pressure and respond positively to priority changes and emergencies.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
*This position is in a bargaining unit represented by CAS. Salaries are established by a collective bargaining agreement. Step placement is also determined by the CTA/CAS Agreement.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2022