Big Rapids Pioneer
Big Rapids, Michigan
|Date Posted||August 03, 2022|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Hearst is a leading global, diversified media, information, and services company with more than 360 businesses. Across every division, Hearst employees are connected by shared values of innovation, storytelling, creativity, vision, social good and partnership. We invite you to discover more about our culture, company, and community.
Hearst major interests include ownership in cable television networks such as A&E, HISTORY, Lifetime and ESPN; global financial services leader Fitch Group; Hearst Health, a group of medical information and services businesses; transportation assets including CAMP Systems International, a major provider of software-as-a-service solutions for managing the maintenance of jets and helicopters; 31 television stations such as WCVB-TV in Boston and KCRA-TV in Sacramento, Calif., which reach a combined 19 percent of U.S. viewers; newspapers such as the Houston Chronicle, San Francisco Chronicle and Albany Times Union, more than 300 magazines around the world including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Men's Health and Car and Driver; digital services businesses such as iCrossing and KUBRA; and investments in emerging digital entertainment companies such as Complex Networks.
The award-winning Pioneer is a highly successful newspaper focused on providing the Big Rapids, greater Mecosta County, Osceola County and parts of Lake and Newaygo Counties authentic community journalism six days per week. The Pioneer and its weekly papers, The Lake County Star and The Herald Review, provide complete coverage of schools, government, courts, sports, and general interest stories to over 125K residents. We are seeking a highly motivated Editor to join the newsroom that would be responsible for planning the contents of the publication, supervise the work of editorial department and oversee the publication production.
As an Editor for the Pioneer Newspaper, you can expect the following
- Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
- Create digital and print content considering reader of audience appeal.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Review and approve proofs submitted by reporters prior to publication production.
- Supervise and coordinate work of editorial department
- Plan the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
- Work with Audience Development team to create digital content based on audience data.
- Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Assign topics, events and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
- Confer with other departments and management regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
- Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
Qualification and Skills
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 5 years’ experience working in the field.
- Knowledge both in maintaining and driving a digital-first thinking in the newsroom to being able to study and determine trends based on analytics.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Knowledge and use of AP Style.
- Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Motivate, develop and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job. Manage one's own time and the time of others. Using a computer application to lay out pages, type text, insert pictures, format, edit, print, save, and retrieve word processing documents.
- Requires meeting strict deadlines.
- Knowledge of content manager systems for both print and online.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.