Washington, District of Columbia
|Date Posted||September 13, 2022|
Public Citizen is seeking a high-energy, creative, strategically savvy, hard-working, passionate person to head our communications office and amplify our campaigns to curtail corporate power and advance democracy.
Public Citizen campaigns on an extraordinarily broad set of issues – money in politics, Medicare for All, global trade, the climate crisis, access to courts, Wall Street reform, affordable and safe medicines, worker and consumer health and safety, and much, much more – and all of our initiatives depend on sophisticated communications strategies to get the word out and shape public debate.
We need someone who can lead a communications team that works across media – digital, print, broadcast – to drive our campaigns to success, directing messages to reporters and editors, opinion leaders, elected officials and staff, coalition allies, Public Citizen members and the public.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The communications director will chart the course of, and manage the implementation of, the communications operations of this leading national public interest organization.
The communications director will work with Public Citizen’s president and executive vice president, as well as other Public Citizen program leaders, on strategic communications planning for programs throughout the organization and to establish long-term goals and strategies for elevating the organization’s profile. The director will also identify rapid response opportunities and manage the daily press operations.
- Work closely with the organization’s executive team and other leaders to develop a long-term organizational communications vision and strategy that multiplies Public Citizen’s impact;
- Work with the organization’s program areas to develop and implement strategic communications plans for specific campaigns;
- Identify rapid response opportunities daily and work with staff to implement them;
- Oversee the organization’s daily press outreach, ensuring content gets out in a timely fashion without error;
- Edit and/or draft press releases, statements and op-eds as needed;
- Manage a communications staff of a deputy, two press officers, a digital strategist, an online advocacy/social media associate and an editor/production manager;
- Manage outside media consultants;
- Build relationships with top national reporters, producers, correspondents and editors;
- Work with the communications staff of other organizations to implement the media outreach goals of several sizable coalitions;
- Assist the Development Department with written materials;
- Work to ensure consistent branding of materials across all platforms; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s and advanced degrees are preferred. We seek someone with at least 10 years in nonprofit advocacy communications and/or journalism and at least two years of management experience, preferably in a unionized environment. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of designing and implementing strategic communications plans for a sizable nonprofit. We also seek someone well-versed in pitching national reporters, bloggers and broadcast media; writing and editing press releases, statements and op-eds; and implementing effective digital strategies. Experience in a variety of policy areas is a strongly desired.
Knowledge and Skills
We seek someone with:
- A passion for the issues Public Citizen works on and a working knowledge of them;
- The ability to think proactively and creatively, and to develop cutting-edge communications strategies;
- Superb attention to detail;
- The ability to write and edit quickly and accurately on deadline;
- Strong organizational and management skills, including the ability to motivate a team;
- The ability to thrive in a newsroom-like environment, juggling a lot of projects at once;
- A thorough understanding of digital media and how it is used to promote programs, campaigns and an organization’s goals; and
- A thorough grasp of the political process and advocacy world.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: We offer a competitive salary and great benefits which include:
- Great medical and dental coverage, including full coverage for children
- Three weeks paid vacation for new employees, plus five personal days
- 401K plan with a 5% contribution from PC after one year of employment
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- Sabbatical after 10 years of employment
- Student loan reimbursement program
TO APPLY: Send a cover letter, resume, a writing sample and a strategic communications plan that you created and implemented to Lisa Gilbert, executive vice president, firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include “communications director” in the subject line.